Falling

In the days leading up to their mission of finding Arnim Zola, Dugan and Gabe had come down with the flu. Allie was grateful for the way she was able to nurse them back to health easily. It was a much simpler task than when Steve had been sick when they were younger.

That thought remained as they improved. That was until she herself came down with the illness. While the men were hard at work putting plans in place and into action, Allie was trying her best to recover. It was rare that she would be sick, but it seemed when she was sick, it was difficult for her.

Allie was insistent that she could continue on how she normally did, though it was quickly disproven when Dugan walked into the kitchen to find her dizzy from standing. She was vocal about her disdain for being sick as they looked for Zola.

Each night before she would submit to sleep, Allie would change into one of Bucky's shirts as she insisted that she was feeling better than she did the day before. Bucky spent his evenings waiting for if she would be sick or she would sleep throughout the night.

The morning of the mission, Bucky finished dressing in his uniform when he heard Allie's groan. Turning around to face her, he watched as she grimaced. She propped herself up, swallowing harshly and looking pale as she looked to him.

"Are you feeling any better?" he asked, knowing the answer at once when she pursed her lips.

"Let me get dressed," she ignored his question. Swinging her legs over the edge of the bed and standing, she blinked and felt sick once more.

Bucky frowned as he watched her run from the room and rush to the bathroom. Thinking for a moment, Bucky excused himself from their room. Walking downstairs and grabbing a glass from the kitchen, he poured her a glass of water. Footsteps sounded from behind him, and as he turned around, he saw Steve.

"Where's Allie?" Steve fiddled with his belt, straightening it out.

"Steve, she's still sick," Bucky sighed. "We can't take her out there. I mean, it's a miracle that Dugan and Gabe recovered as quickly as they did."

"Where is she?" Steve repeated, a small sigh coming from his lips.

"That running to the bathroom? That was her," Bucky sighed. "I'm about to go back upstairs and see if I can get her stay in bed."

"Are any of her nurses close enough they could watch over her?" Steve asked, watching Bucky take the first few steps to the stairs.

"No," Bucky frowned. "But it's Allie. She should be fine for us to find Zola, drop him off with the S.S.R., and come back to her."

"You make it sound simple," Steve grinned.

"Well, it should be and will be," Bucky shrugged, making his way up the stairs and noticing Allie going back to their bedroom with a wet rag.

Allie was quick to lay back down in bed, not making another attempt to dress for the mission just yet. He sat the glass of water on the nightstand beside her. Going to the door, he called down the stairs that he would be there soon.

"I should be going," Allie frowned, pursing her lips.

"We'll be fine, I promise," he grinned. "Besides, you are allowed to be the one who's sick every once in a while. You do know that, right?"

She only frowned at him, taking a steady breath and pulling the blanket over herself once more. From his trunk, Bucky grabbed his tactical jacket, pulling it on as he heard the voices of the other Commandos growing in volume downstairs.

"Rest up doll," Bucky smirked as he adjusted the sleeves of his jacket.

Allie's glare was instant, a pillow in her hand and thrown at him the moment it came from his lips. "Don't call me doll. I hate that."