Without Hesitation

Allie wasn't sure which was worse: the thundering pounding in her head or the pain in her abdomen. Opening her eyes, the groan that came from her lips was involuntary. Blinking and mentally cursing the sunlight that was shining through the window, she began to remember pieces of the evening before.

Groaning, she felt the warmth in her hand. Squinting and allowing her vision to adjust, she noticed Bucky sitting and holding her hand. He was still fast asleep, snoring softly with his cheek pressed against the blanket. Softly, Allie rubbed her thumb along his hand.

The simple touch stirred him from his sleep. He was groggy and groaning as he lifted his head, squinting in the morning light. Noticing her sitting up and looking over at him, his eyes flew open, and he straightened his posture at once.

"Oh thank God," he mumbled as he sat up. "How are you feeling?"

"Like you shouldn't let me be drunk ever again," she tried to grin as another pound in her head forced her to grimace once more.

"Outside of that?" he searched her face, worried that something else could be wrong.

"It's nothing I haven't experienced before," she gave a cheeky smirk, frowning when he didn't smile.

"You were only cut when that happened," he reminded her. "This time you were stabbed. That's different."

"It is," she agreed. "But I'm fine. How are all of you?"

"Everyone's been worried about you," he admitted and squeezed her hand. "I'm sorry I didn't reach you sooner."

"I'm okay," she assured him.

Bucky thought for a moment before clearing his throat. "We should get you changed. Here, let me get you a change of clothes."

"I can dress myself," she assured him.

"You would do the same for me," he reminded her.

"Yes, I would," she grimaced as she sat up and began to swing her legs over the side of the bed. "But I don't need you to."

"Would you stop trying to be so independent all the time?" he narrowed his eyes at her. "At least while you're still in this much pain, let me help."

Allie pursed her lips for a moment while watching him. He was already turning away from her, going to her trunk and opening it. Letting her breath out through her nose, she allowed him to take out an entirely fresh outfit for her.

Allie swallowed down the discomfort as she made her way out of the bed. Slowly standing, she yelped at the pain in her side. At once, Bucky was holding her up once more. Instructing her to sit again, he helped her undress and checked the bandages before he dared to help her into the fresh clothing.

"I don't know how much has really changed since we arrived last night," he admitted.

"Have you been in here the entire time?" her lips parted in surprise. At his small nod she felt guilty. He hadn't left her side. "I'm sorry."

"Why are you sorry?" his brow knitted in confusion as he guided her arms through the sleeves of her dress.

"I've been a bit rude this morning, haven't I?" she dropped her eyes to the ground.

"Independent? Yes. Rude? No," he walked around to face her, helping button the bodice of the dress and smoothing it out. "I've just been worried, that's all."

What he didn't admit was how the worry had been an all-consuming feeling. He had never felt the fear and dread that he had that night. She was alive and well, that much he could see at any given moment. The panic of seeing her fall the night before, however, was scarred permanently into his memory. He had never felt a fear like that.