Overseas

The morning after the disaster called the triple date, Allie woke up before her brother. She had woken up earlier than she would have favored, unable to sleep as she laid with worry the night before. She knew that realistically, Bucky was going to be on his ship, heading out to fight in the war alongside his squadron. That didn't stop her mind from concocting horrible thoughts that stuck in the back, rearing their ugly heads despite her best efforts to calm herself down.

She was sure that the Barnes family had the same story to tell. When the war had started, Bucky chose to remain living with his family despite having had enough funds for a place of his own. His mother and father wouldn't have admitted it out loud, but having him there brought a comfort to them. It certainly brought a level of comfort to his sisters, Rebecca and Ruth, and his younger brother Thomas.

Slipping on a robe and a pair of slippers, and walking downstairs, Allie reached the front door and opened it to retrieve the morning paper. She wasn't sure that she would be able to focus on a single word printed on the pages, but she thought Steve might appreciate it once he woke and sat at the kitchen table. As she bent down to pick up the bundle, she noticed an envelope beside it. Written on it in familiar handwriting was the address of "My favorite pair of Rogers".

A small laugh escaped her lips as she took it into her hand and walked back inside. Settling into the kitchen, she placed both the envelope and paper on the table and turned to prepare breakfast for herself and her brother.

It seemed that the smell of the eggs and the bacon wafting through the house woke Steve up that morning, his footsteps being heard just as Allie began to plate two dishes and place them on the table. Saying a quick good morning to her as he grabbed a mug and poured a cup of coffee for himself, Steve took the paper in his hand and seemed to be smiling to himself. Allie noticed the small smile, wondering if he had had a pleasant dream. Instead, he glanced up at her as she said grace over her food and began to eat.

"How was the rest of your date?" Steve glanced over the paper, watching as Allie's face scrunched tightly.

"Bucky has the worst taste in men," her lips puckered as if she had tasted something sour. The memory of George was one she was rather keen on forgetting.

"Well, he does happen to be attracted to women, so—" Steve's lips had quirked into an amused smirk. He stifled his laughter at Allie's sharp glare.

"I meant when he chooses them for me. George was awful!" she complained and poked at her food with her fork. "What was even worse was that eventually the girls left too. It wound up being only me and Bucky at the dance hall by the end."

"What a surprise," he mumbled under his breath. Something about Bucky and Allie having managed to lose their dates by the end of the night was something that could have practically been expected. "Did you at least enjoy the rest of your night with him?"

"Well, once we had stopped arguing," she nodded and pointed to the envelope on the tabletop. "By the way, he left an envelope this morning."

Steve's brow rose as he looked up at her with shocked, widening eyes. He took the envelope in his hands, opening it quickly.

"Bucky was here this morning and you didn't wake me up?" his mild offense was evident as he took out two smaller letters. "I would have liked to say goodbye to him again."

"Steve, I never saw him. He left the envelope next to the paper. If I had seen him, you know that I would have woken you," she rolled her eyes and took the papers addressed to her.

"I'll trust you on that," he studied the letter addressed to himself. "Do you work today?"

"No, but I work tomorrow," Allie took a bite of her food.