Falsified Forms

4F. Out of all that he could have been listed as, a 4F? Steve Rogers groaned as he made his way to the local theater for an afternoon showing. Annoyed with the answer he had been given yet again, he decided that he might as well find some way to distract himself, along with avoiding the reaction he knew he would receive when he arrived home.

In the theater, he was reminded once more of what had happened that afternoon. Taking his seat in the auditorium, an advertisement for the war effort began to play. Steve longed to be on the front line. It was what he felt was the right thing to do. He knew he had the courage and desire to help protect his home. The only problem was his was barely ninety pounds, five-foot-four, and had a long list of health issues to boot.

As he watched the advertisement, someone behind him began to shout for the movie to begin. Around the room, different people began to shuffle uncomfortably in their seats. A woman sitting near him seemed to purse her lips as she tightened her grip on her purse. At another jeer from the man, Steve turned around telling the jerk to shut up.

The next thing he knew, he wasn't watching his afternoon showing. Instead, he was being beaten up in the back alley. It wasn't long before the familiar young man, the one he called his best friend, arrived and gave the jerk a punch to the face and a kick in the ass for good measure. Turning to Steve as the jerk disappeared, James Buchanan Barnes rolled his eyes.

"Sometimes, I think you like getting beat up," the charming man said.

Steve wiped at his nose, knowing he was bleeding. Once again, he knew the reaction he would receive when he arrived home. He wondered how long of a list he could create before he arrived. Turning his attention to his best friend and wiping the blood of his hands, he took in the appearance of his best friend.

The tall and charming figure of Bucky Barnes was dressed in his military dress uniform. In his hands, he held the morning paper. With a particular page in view, he handed it to Steve.

"Come on, we're going out tonight," he started. "And we're bringing Allie with us."

"Are we celebrating something?" Steve asked, knowing the answer he was about to receive.

"I've been assigned to the 107th," Bucky started. "I ship out tomorrow at seven, so this is my last hoorah."

"The 107th?" Steve's eyes widened as he took the paper, keeping his eyes on Bucky. Steve's father had been a member of the 107th in the first World War. After a mustard gas attack head left him sick, Joseph Rogers had returned to Brooklyn in time for Steve to be born, and his mother to become pregnant with his younger sister.

"Yeah," Bucky nodded, his eyes on the ground as he thought for a moment. "I'll be Sergeant James Barnes."

"Yeah, well, around us you're still Bucky," Steve tried to smile before his mood soured once more.

Two men began to walk out of the alleyway. On their way back to Steve's Brooklyn home that he shared with his sister, Bucky seemed to study him for just a moment.

"So, what exactly were you doing this morning?" Bucky asked as he took back the newspaper from Steve.

"Nothing," Steve shrugged, making sure to tuck the paper in his jacket pocket further in.

"Uh huh," Bucky mumbled, swiftly pushing Steve's hand away, reaching in, and taking the piece of paper. Reading it, he groaned and crumbled the sheet. "Steve, Allie's going to kill you when she finds out."

"It's fine!" Steve shrugged off the thought. "I'll just try again."

"She's going to kill you."

"Not if she doesn't find out."