Chapter 10: The Day that Was

A/N:
this ones gonna be a lil longer probably

~-~

Seraphina was huddled on the couch, curled almost into fetal position. Her wings were wrapped around her in an attempt to comfort herself. Suddenly, a wave of déjà-vu hits her, and she her head begins to ache, but she remains unmoving and glassy-eyed.

"Hold on. We all died fighting this thing the first time around. Remember?"
"Klaus, shockingly, has a point. What gives us a win this time?"

Electricity spontaneously crackles loudly, and none other than Number Five crashes down onto the counter, landing on a suitcase clutched in his arms.

"Je-Jesus!"
"You guys, am I still high, or do you see him too?"

As Five slowly rolls off of the counter, face scrunched up in a grimace. Luther blurts out,
"Five where have you been?"
The boy lands on the floor, Allison and Luther attempting to support him as he stands back up.
"Who did this?"

"Irrelevant."
He snatches the coffee cup from Allison's hand and walks a few paces away from the group, slurping the coffee loudly as they stare at him expectantly.

After a moment, the soot-covered boy turns around to face the group, voice rough,
"So, the apocalypse is in three days. The only chance we have to save our world is, well, us."

"The Umbrella Academy."
"Yeah, but with me, obviously. So if y'all don't get your sideshow acts together and get over yourselves, we're screwed. Who cares if Dad messed us up? Are we gonna let that define us? No. And to give us a.. fighting chance to see next week, I've come back with a lead," Five lifts up a folded up piece of paper, "I know who's responsible for the apocalypse."

Allison holds her hand out for the paper and Five obliges, handing the woman the slip, who opens it.
"This is who we have to stop."
"Harold Jenkins?"

"Who the hell is Harold Jenkins?"

~-~

On the seventh hour of the first day of October, 1989, a woman went into labor.

This was unusual in no way whatsoever. The culmination of a normal, average pregnancy.

The child was average in every way.
Unfortunately for the world, the circumstances of his raising...

...were anything but.

-

Seraphina had been huddled up in the corner of a packed car, her wings pinned tightly to her back, to take up less space, as her siblings and herself were heading back home after a successful mission. Nothing had gone wrong, so she hadn't needed to use her powers, only coming down to show herself to the crowds afterwards, for show. She was one of the members of the Umbrella Academy, after all.

'The Angel,' they called her.

She had never been a big fan of the title, but there was a special fondness for it in her heart when Five had decided that it was his designated nickname for her. The only time one of her siblings had ever called her by the same name, mockingly of course, Luther had garnered a surprising amount of aggression from the boy as a result.