Chapter 2: Run Boy Run

A/N:

wont be as long as the last chapter LMAO

~-~

"During extreme weather conditions, a climber must possess the wisdom to determine when evacuation is inevitable..."

Herr Carlson plays on a record as the sound of a bell ringing pierces through the house. All eight Hargreeves children come running down the stairs to the table, standing in front of their chairs; Seraphina and Five stand across from each other, next to the empty chair at the end of the table. Next to them, Ben and Klaus, then Allison across from Luther, and finally, Vanya across from Diego.
(i know this isnt the actual seating arrangement, just roll w it)
The head of the table is still empty, as the children await for their father.

Sir Reginald Hargreeves then walks into the room, and pulls out his chair.

"Sit."

The children all take their seats in unison, and begin eating. Luther and Allison make eye contact, Ben begins reading a book, Diego carves something into the table with a knife, Klaus is rolling a joint under the table, while Five glares daggers at their father.
Seraphina looks down at her food, picking at it with her fork while getting lost in thought.

The sound of a something being stabbed into the table jolts her from her thoughts. Looking up with wide eyes, she sees Five remove his hand from the butter knife, which stays embedded in the wood, as the boy clasps his hands together on the table, looking at his father scornfully, with an irritated smirk.

"I have a question," Number Five grits out.
"Knowledge is an admirable goal, but you know the rules. No talking during mealtimes. You are interrupting Herr Carlson."
Five abruptly shoves his plate and silverware away from himself.
"I want to time travel," Five spits, his words causing Seraphina's eyes to widen, a feeling of dread sinking into her stomach.

"No."
"But I'm ready. I've been practicing my spacial jumps, just like you said." The boy stands up from his chair and, to prove his point, he spacial jumps next to their father at the head of the table.
"See?"
Seraphina notices the other children go back to eating, but she can't bring herself to look away from the altercation, feeling as though something bad is about to happen.

"A spacial jump is trivial when compared with the unknowns of time travel. One is like sliding along the ice, the other is akin to descending blindly into the depths of the freezing water, and reappearing as an acorn."
"Well, I don't get it."
"Hence the reason you're not ready."
Five glaces between numbers Seven and Eight; Seraphina looks at him fearfully, while Vanya shakes her head, mouthing 'no.'

Number Five's eyes harden and he turns back to their father, who has gone back to eating.
"I'm not afraid."
"Fear isn't the issue. The effects it might have on your body, even on your mind, are far too unpredictable," Reginald slams his silverware down onto his plate. "Now, I forbid you to talk about this anymore," he states before going back to his eating.

Five glances at Seraphina one more time before glaring down at his father. In a split second decision, the boy runs out of the house.
"Number Five! You haven't been excused! Come back here!"
Seraphina rushes to her feet, attempting to follow after him, but Klaus grabs her, holding her to his chest.