Chapter 7: Dangling Out a Window

~-~

Seraphina and Five make their way up the stairs of the Academy, heading to the latter's room when the girl abruptly grabs his sleeve, stopping him.
"Wha-" The question dies in his throat as he sees her point to the ground where bloody footsteps are seen, leading to Klaus' room.

The two exchange concerned glances before hesitantly heading into their brother's room. Lurking in the doorway, Seraphina catches sight of him, taking in his appearance; he looks disheveled. He seemed to have grief in his eyes she had never seen on him, and he was now sporting dog tags, and a tattoo she'd not noticed on him before. Five steps up and knocks on the already opened door.

"You okay?"
"Hey. Yeah, I just... Long night."

He seems out of it, Seraphina notes. She wants to give him space, but the boy by her side seemed to have other plans, chuckling before speaking,
"More than one, from the looks of it."
"Yeah."
"Don't remember the dog tags."

Klaus begins putting a shirt on, "Yeah, they belonged to a friend."
"How about that new tattoo?"
"You know, I don't totally remember even getting it. Like I said, it was a long night."

The girl watches the interaction wearily, almost afraid the boy by her side will escalate it while Klaus is clearly at his weakest. Five suddenly gains an almost crazed and eager look in his eye, "You did it, didn't you?"
"What are you talkin' about?"

Five begins to walk into the room, while Seraphina stays in the doorway, watching nervously.
"You know, I can recognize the symptoms, Klaus."
"Symptoms of what?"
"The jet lag. Full body itch. The headache that feels like someone shoved a box of cotton up into your nose and through your brain."

Klaus sits down on his bed, holding his head in his hands.
"You gonna tell me about it?"
"Your pals, when they broke into the house and they couldn't find you, they took me hostage instead."

Seraphina's heart breaks, and she walks into the room, past Five, and kneels in front of her brother, putting her hand to his cheek, "Oh, Klaus, I'm so sorry." The man puts his hand on top of her much smaller one, and gives a weak smile.

Five's voice ringing out again catches the pair's attention.
"And in return you stole their briefcase," the boy chuckles, the smile on his face unsettling the girl.
"Yeah. I thought there was money in it, or I could pawn it, y'know, whatever... And then I opened it."

The boy begins pacing around, "And the next thing you knew, you were... where? Or.. should I say when?"
"What difference does it make?"
"What dif-- e- Okay, how long were you gone?"
"Almost a year."

Both 'teen's' heads shoot up, "A year?"
"Do you know what this means?"
"Yeah, I'm ten months older now."

"No, this isn't any sort of joke, Klaus. Hazel and Cha-Cha will do whatever they can to get the briefcase. Where is it now?"
"Gone. I destroyed it. Poof."

Seraphina watches worriedly as Five's face twists in anger.
"What the hell were you thinking?"
"What do you care?"
"What do I care? I needed it, you moron, so I could- I could get back! I could start over!"

The girl's heart all but shatters at his words,
'He was planning on leaving? Again?'

Klaus stands up, heading to the door, "Just- just..."
"Where are you going?"
"Interrogation's over, just... leave."