Chapter Two

The next evening, I went back to the boy's home. I knew I was taking a huge risk coming back, but honestly I had nothing better to do. The worst that could happen was I could get beat up by the Easter Bunny. I'd definitely survived worse.

Christopher was still eating dinner with his parents when I arrived, so I just sat and waited for him in his room, trying to convince myself that just because I was curious for the first time in a decade did not make me a stalker. I was invited. I'm pretty sure the Easter Bunny wouldn't like that argument, but who cares?

As I waited, I looked around at the arrangement of stuffed animals sitting around a chest almost as if they were having a meal of their own.

Among them was the yellow teddy bear from last night, now wearing a red t-shirt. With him was a small pink pig, a yellow rabbit, a mother kangaroo with a joey in her pouch, an owl, a tiger, and a forlorn looking donkey who's tail was barley hanging on to his rear end with the help of a rusty nail. They were all well worn out, but with love not neglect.

The door creaked open, and my gaze snapped around to the person standing there. It was only Christopher though, and I relaxed marginally.

"You're back!" He cheered giving me a hug. I stiffened— and can you really blame me? It was the first positive physical contact I'd had with anyone since I left Jack and Halloween Town, and hugs were pretty scarce even then. I did force myself to relaxed though and hugged him back briefly before he pulled away.

"Piglet made you a thank you card!" he said, pulling a piece of folded paper out from under a cookie jar labeled 'Huny Pot'. "Then we all signed it."

I slowly opened the card. Inside was a drawing of a brown haired boy surrounded by a small crowd of mismatched animals. The same animals that were sitting around a "dinner table" right now. Understanding finally dawned on me.

"You know what? I haven't formally met your friends yet," I said. "Maybe you could introduce us?"

Christopher beamed. "Of course!" he chirped, leading me over to the "table" that the stuffed animals were sitting at.

"You came just in time for tea at Kanga's house." He sat down on a pillow between the bear and the tiger and I followed suit.

"Vera, this is Tigger, Eeyor, Rabbit, Piglet, Friend Owl, Kanga, Roo, and Winnie the Pooh. Everyone, this is Vera the Monster Fighter." I looked from the little boy to the animals and back.

"Er... Hello everyone." I said, offering them an awkward wave.

And so I spent the next three hours chatting with a very creative little boy and his colorful friends. I admit, I was lost for most of the conversations that occurred, but I could not stop myself from becoming endeared by this little boy. We were having a very important debate on whether or not Pooh's obsession with honey was healthy or not when a shiver ran down my spine and through every feather.

An indicator that a Wanderer was near.

"Well, this has been lovely," I said, standing up abruptly. "Kanga, thank you for the tea. Eeyor, don't be a stranger. It was a pleasure meeting all of you, but I really must be going. I have, erm... monsters... to fight. Goodbye!"

Christopher looked upset, but he smiled nonetheless. "Okay. Goodbye, Vera! Come again soon!" I smiled back at him— something I caught myself doing a lot during my visit— before pulling my hood on and slipping out the window, shutting it firmly behind me. Everything after that happened so quickly that there was no way I could have prepared myself.

I was tackled from the roof by a blur of grey, and I landed hard on my back, crushed my wings beneath me, and all the air rushed from my lungs. Whatever had jumped me landed on top of me, crushing my ribs and making it impossible to get a breath in. I thrashed wildly, trying to get my mysterious attacker off or at least move the hood of my cloak to see who was attacking me, and what level of hurt I should bestow upon them.