66: 𝘓𝘪𝘵𝘵𝘭𝘦 𝘤𝘰𝘯𝘷𝘦𝘳𝘴𝘢𝘵𝘪𝘰𝘯

Throughout Alice's life it had always been her and Sarah.

There were very few memories of her childhood that did not include her. And as best friends, they had always brought out the most beautiful in each other.

It was no secret that Alice was quite a pretty girl. With or without Sarah by her side. Not above average, but enough in her eyes not to completely hate looking in the mirror.

At least not always.

But all her life, there was nothing she was more aware of than Sarah's beauty, with her features so different from hers.

Her brown hair was the darkness that competed with Sarah's blonde brightness. Only their eyes - both as dark as a pile of brown autumn leaves hit by the sun - were the same.

But she had never really minded. Sarah was drop-dead gorgeous, without a doubt. Her blonde hair, swinging around in that neat ponytail she used to wear every time they walked to school back then, had always made boys almost twist their necks to watch her pass by.

And every time they had shown up together for Island Summernights, it had been the same little game.

Only this year was different for the very first time.

This year it was Alice's turn to be seen.

As she entered the crowded building, she felt as if the click of her heels on the old wooden floor breathed life into the swaying atmosphere. Her midnight blue dress carried the late hour into the building, trailing the night sky from outside, and the eyes of the boys around her followed her as if they were the stars she was missing.

And yet her mind only spun circles around one specific boy.

She navigated her way through the many people, guided by loud music that made her body lighter with every beat. Between doorframes and new rooms, she pushed past bodies blocking the way until the three girls - Jada, Sofia and her - found themselves on the back porch of the Island Club, which offered a direct view of the vast sea bathed in moonlight.

„I'll just spend my entire night here" Alice exhaled deeply as her body came to a halt.

Jada leaned against the railing next to her and gazed out to sea with her, lightly elbowing her in the side. „come on Ali, that would be a waste of a dress"

Rolling her eyes, she brushed her fingers along the white wood of the railing. „I was actually excited to be here with him tonight"

„Did you guys really fight that bad?" Sofia stood at her left side.

„He...—god, everything was fine at first. We were on the way, shared a drink and suddenly he got a call and when I tried to see who it was, he turned his phone away" She put her head in her hands. „and I just looked at it out of reflex cause' I usually trust him but then he did that and now I don't know what to do because he won't even tell me who it was"

„Girl, breath." Jada put her hand on her back comfortingly. „it's just too much right now and not the right place to talk to him about it, but I think if you waste your night with him over it, you might regret it later"

„Jada's right, don't do something you'll regret" Sofia agreed.

And yet that already sounded hard enough for Alice because she already regretted allowing her own thoughts.

And as awful as she felt about it, she couldn't help but think for a second that it might have been some other girl who had called him.

Rafe had been really good to her so far. He had his little faults and flaws - she had them too - but the very idea that he would do such a thing to her was inconceivable to her.