Chapter 16

Ace stayed in Reedcoast for a while

Ace stayed in Reedcoast for a while. Everyday with Reid was a bright sunny day, until the dark clouds came in with the storm.

Reid stayed in bed for five hours, he dragged his foot to face the day. He didn't talk much and wouldn't crack a smile no matter what Ace did to make him happy. A gloomy cloud hovered above his head, he was unmotivated to do anything.

His parents called him to the study room. Their eyes filled with guilt and pity. Ace leaned quietly by the corner and watched them.

Lilith darted to her husband then gulped, she moved to Reid with a note, her voice shook. "Raymond wanted you to have this."

He paused, Reid's hands trembled as he took the note and opened it.

Hey, Reid,

I just want to write this real quick before I take a nap. I know you'll pass your finals, I can't wait to congratulate you.

King Reid... it suits you. I'll take my exams when I recover, then Reedcoast will be the first kingdom with two kings! Congrats in advance, I'm going to sleep.

Your amazing brother,
Raymond.

Tears fogged his view, he squeezed the paper, and the drops flowed like a river. Reid stumbled to the ground as his legs weakened. His veins popped out as he screamed at the heavens and fell on his face.

His parents' eyes locked, Lilith gestured to his father and they both reached out to comfort Reid.

He shoved them with his shoulders. "Leave me! Leave me alone!" Reid wailed.

He cried and sobbed the fluids in his body. Reid laid on the floor when he could no longer grieve from numbness in his throat.

Ace sat on the floor beside him, without uttering a word.

Reid darted. "Why are you still here? Don't you have better things to do?"

"No, you're my top priority."

He held the paper to his heavy chest and exhaled.

Ace watched him until he dozed off. He took Reid to his bed, and left the letter he held tight in his fist.
...

Ace heard noises from the room, he suspected he was awake so he went to get food.

Lilith stopped him before he opened the door. "Ace."

He turned his head.
What does she want now?

"Be careful what you say to him, he... attempted suicide in the past after he lost his brother. She paused. "We hid the letter until his head was clear, or so we thought," Lilith whispered, her throat lumped with fear.
We shouldn't have given him today.

Ace hesitated to process the information. "I will, thank you."

The door creaked. Reid turned to Ace, eyes sunken and a cigarette between his lips. Ace dropped the tray on the table, then pulled it out. "Take, eat this."

"I don't want to."

Ace sat on a stool and scooped some food. "Open your mouth."

Reid hesitated, but after some time he allowed Ace to feed it to him. He took his antidepressant.

They sat in silence.

Ace hugged him. "I'm sorry, for everything you've been through. It's okay to cry, don't bottle up those emotions. If you want to talk, I'm going to listen."

Reid sniffed, he gripped his shirt and sobbed into it. "I...I didn't get that hug, it's my fault."

Ace rubbed his back. "What happened?"

"I was in a hurry to check my kingship result, Mom told me Ray wanted to give me a congratulatory hug... but I felt I'll merit it after I was back, so I left-"

He sniffed. "And... when I got home, he was-" Reid hyperventilated. "I never got my last hug from Ray."

Ace held his shoulders, and stared at him. "Reid, look at me, it's not your fault."

He nodded, then sobbed. "Okay."

Ace smiled. "Good, I'm going to give you lots of hugs," he embraced Reid. "You're the most important person in my life and I love you, don't forget that."

Reid sighed, he hugged him tight. "Thank you, I love you too."

THE END