Invasion.

When Leon woke up the next morning, it took a while for him to actually get out of bed. While Leon was relatively a punctual person, he wasn’t used to waking up to a quiet apartment anymore. He half-expected to hear you bustling about in the kitchen, making a pot of coffee and quick breakfast before heading to work…but there was no rustling in the kitchen, no smell of coffee nor breakfast, and Leon felt weirdly out-of-place.

He was also feeling extremely exhausted. All night, the plagas in his body had been unsettled. Squirming, wriggling, tensing in his body, Leon had been in pain almost the whole night. Headaches were plaguing him, coughing almost uncontrollably, Leon was just plain exhausted.

Slowly getting out of bed, Leon almost felt sick to his stomach when his plagas seemed to come to life, wriggling against his spine. There were two other plagas in his body, one nestled just beneath his sternum and one nestled against his pelvis, and they, too, began to become active. Leon hunched over, clutching his chest, and he cursed as he clutched the wall.

It was already a nightmare and you had only been gone a day.

Grabbing a bottle of pills from the medicine cabinet in his bathroom, Leon swallowed two of them down and took a deep breath as the plagas in his settled. Taking a moment to breathe, Leon glanced at himself in the mirror and frowned. The bags beneath his eyes were heavy, and he splashed his face with cold water before beginning his morning routine.

Glancing at his clock as Leon sipped his coffee, Leon almost cursed when it read 5:18am. Taking out his phone, Leon sent you a quick text before getting into his car to drive off to work.

‘Good morning, sweetheart.’

It was almost ten minutes later when he was pulling into the DSO.

‘Good morning, Leon. How did you sleep?’

Leon bit his lip. Should he be honest? Should he tell you that he didn’t sleep well because he missed your presence? Should he reveal that his plagas weren’t responding well to your absence?

‘I slept alright. What about you? I’m at the DSO and will be getting with Hunnigan before we get on-call with you.’

‘Noisy. There’s a festival going on right now in Cairo, and I could hear the music all the way from my hotel room (it’s in the middle of the city. Yay me lol). I’m on my way to the outbreak site right now.’

Leon hummed before he walked in, greeting the front desk receptionist of the DSO and scanning his badge before walking into the office areas. After grabbing a secondary coffee, Leon was on his way to Hunnigan’s office. Getting to the FSO division, Leon knocked on Hunnigan’s office door before walking in. Hunnigan glanced at Leon, greeting him.

“Good morning, Leon. I was wondering if you were going to come into work. You’re never this late.”

“I got a little tied up in traffic is all. I brought you a coffee, by the way.”

If he could call the plagas in his body traffic, that is. Hunnigan nodded before she stated, taking the coffee gratefully.

“Thanks, I completely forgot about grabbing a cup. I’m going to call (Y/n) in a few moments if you’d like to get settled.”

Leon nodded, and Hunnigan took a moment to inspect his disheveled appearance. Hunnigan crossed her arms over her chest while raising a brow.