4: Summer's PoV

As we walk, I ponder the note that we have just found. Despite what I said to Lou, it can't possibly be some coincidence- after all, who would leave a note lying around that looks like some sort of prophecy or something wierd like that?

Oh wait.

That's it.

That has to be what the note is about- a prophecy! It's got everything a prophecy usually has: fancy writing, parchment, poetry, and impending doom. But if that was true, what- or who- was it about? I mean, it has to have some sort of intended subject or audience. Otherwise, it would be pointless. And why would they leave it lying around, if it was something as important as that?

Maybe they were just forgetful.

I notice Lou looking at me with a confused expression. I raise an eyebrow at him "Yes?"

He still looks confused. What's up with him? "Uh.. well... I hate to break it to you... but you're glowing. Literally."

I stop. "Eh?"

"You're glowing, Summer. No joke."

I look down at myself and, lo and behold, there was a yellow-ish aura around me. I hold out my hand in front of me. It looks like I'm either on fire or a human lamp. Both ideas are equally wierd. "Well... that's new."

He rolls his eyes, but I can tell he's puzzled, if a bit concerned. "Sherlock."

A few people give me odd looks and walk away quickly. Oh crap- they can see it too. I look at Lou nervously. "Uhh, how do you make it stop? I can't make it stop."

"Don't panic, and come with me. The fewer people who see you like this, the better."

We both run across the street to the narrow path at the back of a few shops. Thankfully, this place is too rubbish-filled and falling apart for anyone to want to use this path, so me and Lou are more or less hidden. 

I rest my back on the wall behind us. "Shall I just wait for me to start me-ing again?"

Lou pauses. "Maybe. But maybe it was what you were thinking about."

I shrug. "Well, I was just thinking about the note. Nothing bad, nothing good. Mostly."

He frowns at me, his dark brown eyes studying every inch of my being. "I'm not sure.... maybe you were thinking too hard."

It makes sense. "That could be it. And I'm thinking "too hard" now, so..."

He grins cheekily. "Relax... ease your mind.... breathe in... breathe out...."

I elbow him playfully. "Shut up."

I close my eyes slightly and try to relax. That is the thing with me. I am an overthinker, and I know it- I just can't not think hard about everything. Nevertheless, I try to stop thinking....

Suddenly, Lou taps my shoulder. "Hey, wake up. You've stopped glowing."

I open my eyes and glare at him. "I wasn't sleeping. I was merely closing my eyes."

He scoffs. "Yeah, yeah, and I'm the Queen of Sheba."

I smile at his terrible attempt at a joke. "Well, in that case, hello, Your Majesty."

Lou straightens his back and begins to strut around, holding himself like someone royal. He has a stupidly posh expression on his face, and clears his thrkat as he looks at me. "Why, hello, filthy peasant. Why don't you make yourself useful and fix just a few of my simplest clothes: fifty thousand silk gowns, eighty million leather coats of the finest material..."

I laugh at his extremely British accent. "Stop!"

He begins to act like his normal self. "Fine. But seriously, Summer- we need to get you to stop glowing, otherwise we might have some explaining to do in the local mental asylum."

I nod thoughtfully. "But it's not like I can stop thinking, is it? Maybe it's just a one-time thing. I might be able to stop it next time."

Lou looks at me with a serious expression. "Hopefully. What if it doesn't though?"

"Trust me- I've got it sorted. Kind of. You know what? Just freaking trust me."

He grins and salutes me. "Yes ma'am!"

I smile and begin to walk (well, more stumbling) over discarded bin bags and pieces of rubbish, with Lou following closely behind. As we walk, I wonder briefly if someday, we will find out what our strange powers mean. We only found out that we had them a year ago, and now the odd glowing-thing just happened. I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure this diesn't normally happen...

As we walk out onto the street, I accidentally bump into someone. 

"Sorry!" I yelp, and take in his appearance.

The boy is around our age, maybe a bit older. He has blonde, curly hair mostly covered by a cap that hangs over his intense blue eyes and is wearing a green t-shirt and trousers. He is also holding a walking stick made entirely of wood, which is different compared to all the ones I've seen before. He regards me with a nervous look.

"No, it's fine. I should be saying sorry to you! Sorry to bother you, but do you know a certain..." he pulls out a note from his pocket and reads it. "Summer Nightshade and Lou Bain? I heard they might be around here."

Lou and I share a look and come to a mutual agreement.

I look the boy in the eye. "You're looking at them."