To Be Selfish (Kakashi Hatake x Fem!Reader) (NSFW)

Kakashi Hatake stands at the village gates with a ratty binder in his hands, flipping between multiple pages as the cool morning air blows through his silvery locks.

A map, blurry pictures of the two men he's been ordered to kill, descriptions of their jutsu, and a note with their most recent location following an encounter with another one of Konoha's Anbu, who was found just over a night ago.

It should be enough information for the two of you to succeed.

The time on his watch shows that it's just past six in the morning. The sun is rising and painting the sky blue, purple, yellow, and orange in its wake. It's cool, but not cold, though the incessant breeze in the air makes goosebumps raise on Kakashi's arms while he waits for you.

Kakashi was ordered to meet you here at five thirty. Supposedly, the Hokage informed you of the rendezvous location as well. Kakashi was late due to him stopping to see Obito, Rin, Minato, Kushina, Might Dai, and his own father at the cemetery. Now, it's half an hour past the time you were supposed to meet him and you still aren't there.

Kakashi isn't sure if you're ditching him or if you're going to show up late on purpose to piss him off. As the captain of Team Ro, he's always tried to maintain decent relationships with his subordinates; you, Itachi, and Tenzo. However, the moment you were added to the team, it was clear that you had a bit of a crush on Kakashi. You were getting too close, trying to coddle him on missions, making him food, bringing him gifts, and constantly putting yourself in harm's way for him.

Though you're much different than Rin, your behavior wasn't. Kakashi still has nightmares about his old friend impaling herself on his chidori almost every time he tries to sleep for his sake, for the village's sake- and he knows that, if something like that happens to him again, he'll fall into the darkness and be unable to get himself out of it.

He can't lose someone again. He's too damaged to do it again.

Admittedly, his solution to the problem may not have been the best one he could've come up with. Instead of having a genuine conversation with you about his past and telling you that he isn't in the mental space to get attached to another person right now, let alone one who's constantly in danger while working in Anbu, he did what was easy and pushed you away. He chewed you out for defending him during missions, belittled your abilities, avoided you at all costs, and rejected anything you tried to give or do for him- and rather than the cold indifference he's so used to pushing people away with, he did it in the most hateful way possible, just to make sure it worked.

And it did. His plan worked better than he ever wanted it to. Now, instead of the puppy-like crush you had on him before, you hate him. Kakashi is fully aware that it's his fault, but he's too embarrassed to come clean to you. He also knows that he doesn't deserve your forgiveness for how he's hurt your feelings. So, he continues to pretend to hate you. Neither Itachi nor Tenzo have dared to ask about it, but it has negatively affected the team dynamic during training and missions.

Kakashi starts to assume that you aren't coming and turns to leave, but right then, he hears slow and quiet footsteps approaching. He looks over his shoulder to see you in full armor, (h/l) (h/c) hair pulled back and your (e/c) eyes sparkling under the rising sun. If Kakashi's body goes hot, he blames it on the impending sunlight, rather than on his love for you.

It's not you that makes him burn bright red from the top of his forehead, to the tips of his ears, to his neck, to the top of his chest...

Okay, maybe it is.

But you don't need to know that.

"It's not like those two to be late... They're not late, are they? Why is it just us?" You ask, looking around as if you're waiting for Itachi and Tenzo to appear. Kakashi can't help but be disappointed by how bothered you seem that it's just him. "I'd rather really not be stuck alone with you. The other two are much more personable."