Stupid (Kakashi Hatake x Anko Mitarashi)

"Staring at Kakashi again, huh?"

Anko damn-near jumps out of her seat as she sits at the dango stand, her good friend Shizune by her side. The two women are enjoying a calm and peaceful lunch together- at least, they were until none other than Kakashi Hatake and Might Guy showed up to enjoy a lunch of their own. As embarrassing as it is, Anko hasn't been able to keep her eyes off of the Copycat Ninja since he entered the establishment.

Apparently, Shizune has noticed.

"Say that a little louder, why don't you!" Anko sarcastically scolds and leans in to scold her friend, who offers nothing more than a guilty laugh. "Seriously, Shizune! I don't want him to know , you know!?"

Anko glances over at Kakashi, who seems absorbed in whatever conversation he's having with Guy. It seems like the two are talking about an A-Rank mission they have coming up soon. Anko doesn't care enough to listen. No, she cares, she just wishes she didn't. So, she looks down at her skewer of dangos and ignores the melodious voice and familiar laugh of the masked man she's admired since they were young Chunin.

Kakashi Hatake is stupid. Anko Mitarashi doesn't love people who are stupid. Yes, she wants Kakashi on a carnal level that she can't quite explain, but it isn't love- because when feelings are labeled as love, that's when they become scary.

When she's sure that Kakashi isn't looking their way, she peers over at him again. Puffy, silver hair, a soft charcoal eye, the rest of his face covered by that mask that Anko wants to rip off so badly. The way Kakashi moves is languid and soft just like he is, like he doesn't have a care in the world despite carrying so much on his shoulders. He never buckles, never bends, never breaks. He just slouches and carries on as if nothing matters. He's late to everything, he treats his friends like shit, and he's arguably the worst Jonin teacher in Konoha, and yet...

He's beautiful. He's intelligent in battle, graceful, and caring in his own weird way, even if he is an absolute fucking idiot. It's no wonder so many people love him.

Anko doesn't know why she never fights it. She never shoves her way in between Kakashi and his admirers, never tries to top her competition. Maybe she doesn't want to appear desperate. Maybe she fears rejection. Whatever it is, it's enough to make her stop and look away every time she sees someone who looks at Kakashi the exact same way she does.

Tenzou, who so sweetly calls Kakashi 'senpai' after all these years and who follows him around like a lost puppy.

Might Guy, who challenges Kakashi to those stupid contests as an excuse to spend time with him, who is content to stay stuck in his unrequited love so long as he can still have Kakashi as a friend.

Hana Inuzuku, who offers Kakashi and his eight Ninken discounts at her veterinary clinic just so Kakashi will bring in his dogs (and himself) more often to see her.

Iruka Umino, who looks to point out the flaws in Kakashi's mission reports and talk to him about his students just so he can stare at the Jonin with those big brown eyes for much longer than he really should be.

Ayame, who lumps extra food in Kakashi's bowl free of charge- Ayame, who seems like she's fallen in love all over again each time Kakashi takes his mask down to eat at Ichiraku Ramen.

There are so many people in the village who would give their lives for Kakashi, who would do anything for him to notice them. But Kakashi doesn't appreciate them. He doesn't even have a clue that they exist, because he's stupid. Anko has always hated that about him.

Anko lingers at the stand far too long after finishing her food, and Shizune doesn't question it. They both know her reasons. Maybe she's not in love with Kakashi, maybe she doesn't love him, but she can admit to herself and those that are close to her that she at least wants him. So they stay. Anko takes in Kakashi's presence for a little longer and reminds herself of every little thing that keeps her from loving him.