breathe

Park Jimin's checklist for this emotionally exhausting day:

Break off the engagement
Meet with Grandfather
Set up a coffee date with Kim Taehyung

Who was Kim Taehyung?

About six months prior to the current date, Kim Taehyung was set up on a coffee date with his sister. Jimin's stepmother had pulled some strings at the country club, and someone owed someone, who owed someone, who managed to convince the formidable Mrs. Kim to set the date up.

Jimin's sister was over the moon. She had maxed out her credit card on the shopping spree that went into prepping for the date.

Jimin may not have been a very sociable person, having much preferred the confines of his room than venturing out into a society that insisted on referring to him as 'adoptee' as if he wasn't standing right there, but even he knew who Kim Taehyung was.

He also knew that knowing Kim Taehyung's reputation, his sister was going to come home in tears because her heart was stomped on.

He was both right and wrong.

While she did not in fact come home in tears, her heart most definitely did get stomped on.

The date was a disaster.

Which was not shocking at all.

Kim Taehyung, entrepreneur and #6 on the Forbes '30 under 30' Asia 2022 list, was among many things, a mama's boy.

And so when she set him up on these coffee dates, he never missed them. But he also seldom let the poor girl across from him even look at the menu before he took a wrecking ball to any hopes or fantasies of being the future Mrs. Kim Taehyung.

Jimin thought the gazillionaire could afford to be a bit of a douche.

And he may have been a little bit biased here, but Jimin truly believed that Kim Taehyung had a face that would make Narcissus weep with envy.

He had also landed the #6 spot on the Forbes Asia list, because of a company that he founded anonymously at 22, free from money, influence or any kind of assistance from his family or the many billions they had at their disposal.

So he was gorgeous, a genius, rich, and a mama's boy. Of course, he would be weary about finding a partner via these coffee shop dates.

All of Jimin's sympathy lay entirely with Kim Taehyung.

Although much of this point of view came from Kim Taehyung himself. Because while Jimin knew next to nothing about video games, he knew almost everything there was to know about Atlys Games, Taehyung's company.

How?

Because his stupid, cheating, douchebag husband Jaehyun worked there for the duration of their marriage.

Jimin, who always felt the need to compensate Jaehyun for the absence of sex in their marriage, worked extremely hard for him. All social anxiety was placed on the back burner, as he set to organizing unofficial company retreats and after-hour cocktails and outings.

While he himself didn't get a whole lot of clout for being a Park, he had been quite successful in leveraging his family name to propel Jaehyun's name into higher and higher social networking circles. His efforts paid off.

Jaehyun had been promoted twice in the year they had been together, and Jimin had been told by Kim Taehyung himself that it never would have happened without his efforts.