AYUSH

"I didn't think you would come," I puzzle when I look up from my reading to see Si sitting down across from, me decked out in a full suit with a red tie.

"Neither did I, but as you said the Universe has other plans," he replies putting the last part in air quotes.

"Elaborate."

"I had a meeting this morning at 9:00 am," he starts, waving the waiter over and taking off his blazer, "And as I'm sitting at my desk, the person I'm supposed to meet cancels the next week of meetings we have."

"Wow," I laugh. The waiter comes over, takes Si's order for a green tea, then takes my espresso glass, and waves to the bartender to bring over a new drink. We're in a different room this time at a dark wooden table next to a high window that has a view of Central Park. The trees are a fiery autumn palette that aren't asking to be seen; they know everyone is paying attention.

"I didn't think either one of us would be able to get up this early," Si offers.

"Five hours of sleep is more than enough," I quip back, locking my tablet, taking it off the table, and putting it in the light blue backpack by my green chair.

"What happened to the Ayush who needed eight hours of sleep in high school?" He smirks trying to break the tension between us.

"He changed," I respond coolly. I don't think we are quite in a place to joke with one another.

We sit in silence for a minute. I get a notification and check my watch.

"How was your movie premiere, Love's Fire right? Where is your crew?" Si asks, breaking the tension.

"Drunk, hungover, asleep, or any combination of the three," I smile analyzing his face, realizing the hideous beard is gone, "You shaved?"

"I was wondering when you'd notice," he responds.

"In my defense, I have always known you without one, so this feels normal," I laugh, letting the ice between us break. I scoot my chair closer to the table between us and he does too. He looks better without the beard, younger.

"Did you order anything yet?" Si wonders.

"You know I don't eat breakfast, Si."

"Sorry. I forgot."

"So," I take a breath, trying to decipher what I should ask the ex-love of my life after twelve years of no contact, "How has life been?"

It feels weird asking him questions like this, not just knowing.

"Uhhh—Good. Eventful. How about you?"

"Same actually. I mean you probably know, published author, still work for my parents, still living in Cincy," I detail, hoping he does the same.

"Living in SF, founder of Eco Wright. Divorcee," He tells me while perusing the menu. Before I can respond, the waiter comes over and Si orders some sort of eggs benedict. I never knew he had serious relationships, let alone got married. I stopped keeping any tabs on him after I stopped writing about him. I guess I just lost interest and, somewhere deep down, I had acknowledged he had moved on, but it was different assuming that and knowing that. I want to know more about his life.

"You were married—"

"Hi sir, can I get your signature?" a teenage boy of East Asian descent interrupts me. He is wearing a T-shirt that has the cover of one of my books on it and is holding a copy of Love's Fire. It's quite frankly adorable.

"Of course," I smile back, thanking the universe I get to have interactions like these. He hands me his paperback as I pull out my light blue metallic signing pen from my bag. I always kept it on me after I published my third book. Across from us, Si is trying to hide his shock by pretending to look at something on his phone. Opening the novel and flourishing my pen, I talk to the boy about his favorite characters. Once he leaves, Si and I delve back into our conversation.

He tells me he can't believe I moved back to Cincinnati and live with my parents considering how much I hated them in high school. He's not wrong. My familial relationships were incredibly difficult to navigate back then. Muma and Papa had to raise a son with a sexuality that the society they had grown up in deemed taboo in a country where they were learning the culture at the same time their son was. I had to grow up with parents who took their time accepting my sexuality and the unique blend of cultural influences that shaped me into the person I am. However, once our family realized that we loved each other so much we couldn't live without one another, the four of us became inseparable. My struggles with my parents helped them to raise Armaan, my younger brother, better, finally breaking a generational issue.

"Well, people change Si. I got really close to my family while I was at college."

I can tell Si thinks its weird that I still live with them for more than just the fact that I hated them in high school. However, he forgets that it is quite normal, especially for business families, for their children to live at home well into adulthood. Sure, I could live by myself if I want to, but there's no point with how often I would have to be home to talk about matters related to MKK. If I would practically be living at my house anyway, I might as well just actually live there.