△ Chapter 39 △

Thomas, Minho, Newt, Brenda, Jorge, Sonya, Gally, Frypan and a couple of other Gladers stood in a line facing the rising Grievers.

''What are we going to do?''

''What we do best, fight back''

Thomas mind catches a glimpse.

''On the tail end of the Grievers, what the Creators called the barrel—inside the blubber, there's a switch, like a handle. You have to reach through the skin and pull it out. If you can do it, the things will die."

''Alright, inside the blubber, there's a switch, pull it out. If you can do it, the things will die''

Thomas sprinted to the closest one and slammed his hand through the moist skin to find and pushed until he found a hard handle.

He threw the handle to the floor and ran to the next.

Thomas risked a quick glance and noticed that Alex was missing.

''Newt! Where's Alex?''

''She's safe'' he yelled back. ''She's down there already. Thomas watch out!''

The Griever in front of Thomas let out a loud growl showing off his pointy teeth. Thomas stared, frozen.

''Get down!'' Thomas obeyed as Newt came running and slammed a large rock into the monster's head multiple times.

''Thanks''

''Let's go''

...

He looked over the head of men, women and children until finally spotted Alex. He pushed his way toward her and stopped when he saw the child in her arms. She looked up at him, her gaze locking on his, as he looks at her trembling lips and her teary eyes.

''Oh god'' he pulled her into a hug and kissed her forehead.

''She forced me to. She told me take her, I couldn't leave her out there''

''You did the right thing''

Thomas and those following finally made it to the section of the building the chancellor had circled on the map. On the far side, a dully shimmering wall of gray framed by a rectangle of shiny silver, and next to it.

The Flat Trans.