△ Chapter 14 △

Thomas went up to knock on the door and called out, ''Hey...we're going into the city and see if we can find that Hans guy''

''I'll stay on the Berg while you guys go into the city'' Newt's voice came from the other side of the door.

''I guess he doesn't want anything to do with me'' Alex said lacing up her boots.

''Hey, it's not your fault, you know that'' Thomas said. ''He just needs some time alone''

...

Alex jumped down the Berg wearing a tight black leather that Jorge handed her. Her boots scrape against the gravel as she walks the path in to the immense doors to the city.

''We're using our real first names with fake last names''

They finally made it to the doors. An electronic buzz sounded from somewhere, followed by a female voice.

''State your names and your business''

''I'm Jorge Gallaraga'' He pulled a few data cards from his back pocket and held them up to a camera in the wall. ''And these are my associates, Brenda Despain, Thomas Murphy and Alex Murphy, and Minho Park. We're here for some information gathering and field testing. I'm a certified Berg pilot

''You know we have the same last name, right?''Thomas smirked at Alex.

She chuckled and rolled her eyes.

They waited for what felt like several minutes before both of the iron doors swung outward. Then they entered a room for the viral testing station that looked like a decontamination chamber.

"You've all been cleared of VCT and confirmed immune'' The doors began to slide open.

People everywhere. Men and women. There were a few skyscrapers; the sunlight shining through the windows. White clouds were filling the blue sky, as high as the skyscrapers.

...

A paper flew through the air and landed in Alex feet. She bends over and picked it up. It had a headline that read: STOP THE SPREAD OF THE FLARE! Then beneath that in bold black letter read: Help stop the spread of the Flare. Know the symptoms before you infect your neighbors and loved ones. Then it had about half a page of a brief summary of what the Flare is and the symptoms.

EARLY WARNING SIGNS:

Changes in personality

Decreased cognitive abilities

Problems with balance

Involuntary facial movements

ADVANCED WARNINGS SIGNS:

Muscle spams

Disorganized and/or aggressive speech

Auditory hallucinations

Severe paranoia

Dementia

Sudden aggression

Self-mutilation

She clenched the paper in his hand and a man in a dark jacket was approaching them, his gaze set on Thomas.

"Hey," Alex whispered, nodding toward the stranger.

The man reached them and said, ''Listen carefully, because I am only saying this once. You need to come meet me immediately—I'm with a group called the Right Arm. Corner of Kenwood and Brookshire, Apartment 2792.' "

''I don't understand'' Thomas's eyebrows furrowed as he looked at the man.

The man looked at Thomas, then at Minho, then at Alex. He probably looked at her more than he probably should have too.

Alex crossed her arms over her chest, cocking her hip as she watched him.

''Here, take this. Just in case you forgot. But remember, there are eyes everywhere.''

He handed Thomas a slip of paper and walked off without another word.

A lump formed in Thomas's throat when he saw the signature at the bottom of the slip of paper.

He looked up at Alex, "It's from Gally''

Yay! Gally's here! I have been waiting for this moment since I started this fanfic.