Interlude I: Sweet Like Caramel

When I dream, I dream of the past.

Both memories of now and my previous life are common occurrences that I may experience.

"You're nervous."

"Of course I'm nervous."

"There's no need to be afraid."

"It's not about being afraid. It's about making myself look like a fool."

It's odd being able to see a memory as if I was a bystander.

Standing here in this ballroom, the area filled with many people all around.

And seeing my old self stand in the center of the ballroom floor with my girlfriend at the time,

Caramel.

"We all have our embarrassing moments and it's fine. That's simply how people are."

"Even so..."

"Come on! There's nothing to be embarrassed about! So what if you don't know how to dance? It doesn't matter."

"Yet it does matter given you brought me here to the dance floor. If you're gonna dance with someone, you're supposed to know how to dance. Do you see the problem now?"

The reason why we were at a ballroom was because it was a celebration. A marriage party for my older sister who had gotten married to her boyfriend of seven years.

I was 20 during this time. My sister was 23. My sister and my brother-in-law were sophomores when they met because my brother-in-law transferred to my sister's school that year.

They bumped into each other in the hallway on accident while turning corners. My brother-in-law helped pick up my sister's stuff which she dropped from her hands and from there on on...they grew a connection of sorts. They were friends for three months and then they began to date. It seems like they grew feelings for each other in such a short time.

They were 16 in high school while I was in my last year of middle school. I still recall how my sister introduced her boyfriend to us. Mom was happy while Dad was doing his job as a father and sizing up my brother-in-law. After dinner and questions my Dad had for my brother-in-law, he approved of him dating my sister!

I can't blame Dad, my brother-in-law is a great person... The two of them grew close quite quickly and I had memories of the time my Dad brought him with us fishing.

Dad and I were close. He always used to take me places for father-son bonding. I didn't mind my brother-in-law because quickly, I found him to be an older brother I never had.

This is why, I was happy when it was announced that my brother-in-law proposed to my sister and she accepted.

My sister managed to find happiness with someone she loved. And my brother who will officially be part of our family, while we will officially be part of his.

I liked his family. It was like having a second one in a way. My brother-in-law was an only child compared to me and my sister, so my brother-in-law also found me to be like a brother he never had.