ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴇɪɢʜᴛ

Oh Jude, why are you getting more handsome than the last time I saw you? And why do you look so much better in person than those photos of you on the internet? 

I look down to my leg as we just shared a 5 second eye contact. When I heard Prof Davies begin to talk to everyone, I brought my head up to focusing on him and tried not to look at Jude.

Jude's pov:

Eleanor..... Suddenly, I forgot what I was talking to Trent a few seconds ago.

Eleanor Marlborough. I remember her name as I was focusing on her trying to make sure that's actually her.

Is that really you? I ask her in my thoughts, but then she looks down to her legs then back up to focusing on the man that is talking. Whilst still focusing on her, I just started to remember, Brunel University organised this charity, which is also Eleanor's uni that she told me like what? a year ago?

That must be her, I thought again then she's looking my way and smiles.

It is you I tell her through my mind.

"Jude man" Trent smacked my arms then I snapped out of my thoughts. "You coming innit? Who are you looking at bruv?" He sounded irritated then looked towards Eleanor who I just stared at.

"Uh, yeah. I'll be there" I state looking at him then back to Eleanor.

"Wait- ain't that Derek Marlborough's daughter? Erm, what was her name?" He asked me.

"Eleanor Marlborough" I tell him whilst my eyes are still locked on her.

Trent didn't let out any words, the voice of which I guess is their lecture speaking filled the room. I couldn't let my eyes off of her, for some reason. Maybe it's the question that I've been holding onto to ask her. Where was she after the match?

Back in November 2022, after the match against Iran, I went to look for her at her seat where we met earlier before the match, because I told her that I would meet her after the match. But I couldn't find her anywhere near the seats. Nor did I find her at the hotel. She's like disappearing in the midst of clouds. I didn't actually think she would just leave without telling me.

Not that i'm someone special for her to tell me everywhere she goes, but i really wanted to meet her again after the game which honestly humbled me a little when i couldn't find her. I know we just met like a few days before the game, but it was nice talking to her and I wanted to be friends.

I tried to think positively about what happened tho, why she's nowhere to be found. Maybe there's an emergency back home, I thought.

"Soo, she's like your ex?" out of nowhere Maddison rested his arm on my shoulder.

"What- nah, nah, nah" I snapped out my thoughts and looked around me where Trent and Maddison literally smiled to each other. "Nahh, we just used to be friend" I look back towards her "at least that's what i thought"

"Why are you looking at her that way then man?" Trent ask.

"What way?"

"That bruv, like there's a thing or sum"

"This is how I looked at everyone, man. Stop it" I remove Maddison's arm from my shoulder as I take my eyes off of her.

We continue to focus back to the man that's talking.

Eleanor pov:

"Alright now students can go and do your best for your presentation" Prof Davies finished his speech and instruction. All of us nodded and everyone walks to the footballer that they're gonna interview.

Then there's Rebecca, the mean girl leader, jumping excitedly towards Jack Grealish and hugging him. He hugged her back and they both introduced themselves to each other.

"I know you're The Jack Grealish" Everyone hears her squeal. Which honestly makes me feel so embarrassed.

"I'm so excited for today!! We get to spent the whole day together!! Can you believe that?" Carol continue Rebecca squeal after she introduced herself to Trent Alexander-Arnold who's standing next to Jude.

Trent just smiles and laughs forcefully to her as he looks towards Jude who's giving him that face. I really couldn't hide my face anywhere from this embarrassment. So I just covered my face by rubbing my forehead and let out a heavy sigh.

I look up to Jude and smile at him then take a few steps closer to him. To my surprise, he walks closer to me and hugs me before we even say hello to each other.

"Hello Eleanor" He started, which kind of surprised Carol who's giving that look to Rebecca.

"Hello Jude" I replied to him then we both let go.

"How have you been?" He asked.

"Just alright. You?" I gave him a sign to walk together with me to where we're going to start our interview.

"Same here" He replied with a smile. Then we both walk in silence out of the dressing room.

"Are you ready for the day?" I question him as we walk side by side to the pitch.

"I am, yeah, excited," he claimed.

"Um, before we start, I wanna say sorry. For not meeting you after the game" I turned to him whilst walking. "we received bad news from Manchester that evening" I look down to my legs.

"What bad news?"

I swallow the lump in my throat before answering him "my nan passed"

"oh" he let out "I'm sorry, for your loss" I heard he speaks.

"Thank you" I smiled at him trying not to cry. Even though it's been a year, it still saddened me remembering that she already left us. "But, again. I'm sorry for not telling you that evening"

"Nah, it's fine. There's nothing to be sorry for" He states then wraps his left arm on my shoulder and rubs my left arm. Then we both smiled at each other.

That day I thought of following him on Instagram and dms him why I couldn't make it that evening, but then I thought, logically, he probably never even opened any dms from those 5 millions followers that followed him that time. Plus he wouldn't even recognize my instagram because it's not my name.

"Congratulations tho, for scoring the first goal for England at the world cup on your first debut. I'm actually very impressed" I adore him.

"Thank you," he smiles.