XI

The words hung in the room with the heaviness of a death sentence without any of them say a word, the shock having momentarily rendered them speechless

It was shortlived though and quickly the shock left space to anger. While Jimin's was cold and he was capable of keeping it hidden beneath a practiced mask of cool professionalism even if he felt his palms he'd subtly moved under the table curl into fists because even if he didn't know Naeun he still felt protective overthe kid because she was a part of Jungkook. His friend on the other hand didn't bother to hide his feelings.

It was impressive to witness.

The boy he had known back then had always seemed to never take things to heart. Optimist and candid to a fault. He had been a bit naive and showed the signs of possessiveness but only toward his friends attention when he'd felt like his spot was threatened but he had never lashes out angrily, simply acted excessively clingy and spoiled.

The lawyer cocked his head to stare at him, taking in the stormy expression on his face. Jungkook's brows were pinched with his eyes shooting daggers at his ex in laws and the thin line of his lips.

Realization dawned on him that it was a side of Jungkook he had never seen. He felt a pinch in his chest as he felt the man's pain.

“Hell No.” The words cracked like a whip as he jumped to his feet and slammed his hands flat on the table.

The Kim's and theirs lawyers exchanged glances, one of the lawyers coughed before he pulled out from under a stack of files before him one paper that he slid across the table to Jimin.

He spared it a glance before looking up.

“My client is the parents and legal guardian of Jeon Naeun. He had obtained the full custody right because her mother wasn't fit to take care of her own child. She would rather party and drink heavily.”

“The document I handed you is actually the transcript of a phone call between my client's late daughter and an unknown man where she confessed the child isn't Mr Jeon's but the man's and it's based on that we intend to sue Mr Jeon to take back Ms Naeun as she isn't his biological child.”

He seized the flimsy paper, eyes wide and without a look to Jungkook brought it before his eyes to read it. Hot, white rage bloomed in his chest and he cursed the woman. He groaned, setting it down back on the table. Beside him, Jungkook had deflated, anger vanished. He looked tired.

“Nothing proves this isn't forged and also it doesn't change a thing. My client and Mrs Kim were married and as per the law all children conceived during marriage belong to the couple.” He fired back, chin held high as if he dared them to deny it.

The lawyer smiled indugently.

“We know the law as well as you do but if there's a trial we will argue that with the death of her mother of which your client's is still a prime suspect of despite the preliminary autopsy report, it'll be best for the child to be in an environment less stressful that her grandparents are eager to provide.”