VI.

It was late when they finished eating dinner

It was late when they finished eating dinner. Jimin offered to clean the kitchen while Jungkook helped Naeun get ready for bed. While the lawyer cleared the table and filled the dishwasher, he wondered if it would still be possible for him to order a cab to get to his hotel.

He'd missed his booking but maybe he could book again. Another hotel wasn't a problem if this one was overbooked as long as there's the bare minimum of comfort he would be fine. He didn't want to impose himself to Jungkook and his daughter.

He peered up when he heard a door shut and looked back in time to see Jungkook tiptoed out of it and into the living room. The shorter man let out a chuckle at the scene. It was just so ridiculously endearing.
Though his chuckle rapidly died down in his throat when he noted Jungkook marching down to him. He blinked like a rabbit caught in the headlights and felt his throat dry.

The younger man pulled him into a hug, burying his face into his neck. Jimin turned scarlet red, hands up in the air as he didn't know what to do with them. His heart skipped several beats to the point he’s certain that Jungkook could hear it ans would make a remark but the latter didn't, he just hummed contently before letting go.

His lips quirked up into a smile and a glee danced in his eyes. There's a lot of emotions mixed in there, some Jimin couldn't interpret well but he recognized the happiness and the sadness.

He let his arms down, his brows furrowed

“What's that for?” he asked as sternly as he could manage but it's far from convincing. Jungkook noticed and his smile brightened while he pulled out
a chaise and flopped gracelessly down, shrugging.

“I just missed you very much.”

Jimin startled like a puppet on strings. He felt the same, he'd missed Jungkook so much that it'd at times felt like he's missing a vital part of himself. He'd hated it back then how much he loved him. He let the silence stretched for seconds between them and after drying his hands drew a chaise and sat down.

“There are a few questions we need to address before. It's important.” He decided to start with. Jungkook nodded, his smile dimming as he straightened in the chaise. “Firstly I want to tell you that as your lawyer you can tell me anything, I won't judge you and i'm bound by the professional confidentiality and nothing you said to me will be used against you.” 

Jungkook cut him off, a little hurt.

“Do you think I killed her?”

Jimin leaned back, this was going off tracks.

“My opinion doesn't matter.” he said mildly because it was the truth. His opinion was the last one that mattered, the police and subsequently the jury's and the jude's mattered most.

The younger huffed, annoyed.

“Spare me the lawyer slang. I want you to tell me if you believe that I had anything to do with Yuna's death?” He pushed and it hit Jimin like a truck that this wasn't about the potential trial. Jungkook's lips were pressed into a firm line and his eyes were flashing. He stared into his eyes, studying them like it was the first time. He swallowed hard, shaking his head.

“It never even crossed my mind that you could have done something illegal, Jungkook.” he admitted. The younger man looked beyond relieved, his face breaking into a goofy smile.

“Thanks, you have no idea how much it means to me.” and it was sincere. Jungkook leaned back, biting his lips. “It's bad that her parents think I have a hand in that but it will kill me
if you did too hyung.”

Jimin was tempted to ask him why his opinion was so important but it was neither the time nor the place for that, also the lawyer wasn't sure he wanted to know the answer to that. Jungkook was upset, it's obvious that the accusations were a terrible weight on his shoulders. The last thing he needed was be reminded (if he didn't already knew) of Jimin's feelings.

Jimin was there to help him sort this out as a lawyer and old friend, nothing more and nothin less.

He scraped his throat.

“Everything's going to be fine.”

Jungkook’ shoulders sagged as he let out a depreciating laugh, wiping his face.

Minutes ticked by without either of them feeling the need to say something. He hadn't say everything he'd wanted to say but he guessed it could wait. Jimin glanced down at his watch, swallowing back a curse as he realized just how late it was. It hit him that if he wanted to get to his hotel and have a modicum of sleep he needed to leave now.

Jungkook caught his look and rested a hand on top of his on the table, pulling Jimin's gaze immediately to his. The touch burnt even through the fabric.

He opened his mouth to say something but Jungkook beat him to it.

“You can spend the night here. It’s tiny but I’m sure we can make room for you, hell you can share a bed with me. It’s not like it'll be the first time.” he joked but it sounded strained as if he'd sensed Jimin’s hesitation and was trying to cut short the tension.

It fell flat as the shorter male stared blankly at him, mind wiped clean from any thoughts.

He recalled the many sleepovers they'd had over the years. It'd been both a torture and extasy wrapped in one. Before he could realize what he’s doing he shook vigorously his head, pulling away his hand.

He scrambled up to his feet.

“No, I don't want to be a nuisance. I will just call a cab and get a hotel.”

Jungkook’s brows furrowed as he bit down his lips, unhappy.

“Don’t be ridiculous do you have an idea how much it will cost you to get to downtown at this hour? What about the risks? When you can just sleep here I don’t see the problem.” He continued earnestly but Jimin didn’t want to hear any of that.

He looked around like an animal caught in a trap, looking for an exit. He pulled out his phone in one swift motion, flicking through it until he found the cab app. Immediately he ordered one, heaving out a sigh when it confirmed that one will get here shortly.

Still not looking at Jungkook, he retorted.

“Money isn’t a problem also I just recall I have files I need to have a look at so.” he trailed off, glancing up. Jungkook looked hurt. He clammed his lips shut.

The silence was deafening like the one that preceded a natural disaster. He didn't realize he's holding his breath until his old friend spoke again.

“I never ask because I didn't want to pry but why did you ghost me, hyung?”

A/N: ...and CUT! Okaay i know it’s been a while. I’ve no excuses and I hope people are still keepimg up with this story. i've a lot planned and you guys aren't ready😂😂 Just wait.

Please tell me what you think in the comments. I like reading your opinions. My DM are dry as hell so leave me a message or two i will reply I swear.