-15-

As the last wisps of her breath escaped her lungs, she felt her body begin to drift aimlessly through the vast expanse of nothingness. The icy chill of space caressed her fragile skin, leaving behind a trail of goosebumps in its wake. Her eyes, still wide with disbelief and horror, stared unblinking at the pinpricks of light that twinkled softly in the infinite darkness. She could see every detail of the stars and constellations that had once brought her comfort and a sense of belonging, but now they only served to remind her of how alone she truly was.

Her heart, once full of hope and dreams, now beat with the desperate urgency of a dying animal. She tried to scream, to reach out for help, but her voice had long since fled, leaving her trapped in a silent prison of despair. She struggled against the inevitable, refusing to accept the fate that had been so cruelly thrust upon her.

As she floated aimlessly, she noticed a tiny speck of light approaching from the distance. Her first instinct was to dismiss it as a mirage, a trick of the light, but the light grew steadily brighter and more distinct. As it drew near, she realised it was not a star at all, but a ship. A sleek, metallic ship that looked as if it had been carved from the very fabric of the universe. Its engines hummed softly, bathing her in a warm, comforting glow.

Her heart leapt with hope. Was this a rescue ship? Had someone found her? She struggled to move, to reach out, to communicate in some way, but her body felt impossibly heavy and uncooperative. The ship seemed to sense her plight, for it slowed its approach and began to circle her gently. Its hull was adorned with strange markings and symbols that she couldn't quite make out.

As the ship drew closer, she could see the outline of a hatch near its midsection. The hatch began to open slowly, revealing a dimly lit interior. A figure emerged from the ship, floating gracefully towards her. It was not a human, nor anything resembling one. It looked like a cross between a machine and an angel, its metallic skin gleaming in the light. The figure extended a hand, offering her aid.

Tentatively, she reached out and took the proffered hand. The figure pulled her gently towards the ship, and as she felt its strength supporting her, she realised that she was no longer alone. Whatever this being was, it was there to help her. As she was pulled inside the ship, she caught one last glimpse of the stars outside, twinkling brightly in the infinite darkness, a silent reminder that even in the vastness of space, there is always the possibility of connection and hope.

As the morning light slowly but surely crept its way through the blinds and into my room, my head felt as though it were being pummelled by a sledgehammer. My mouth was as dry as the Sahara desert, and my tongue felt like it was made of sandpaper. The hangover, oh God, the hangover. It was a living, breathing thing, a constant companion I couldn't seem to shake. I blinked a few times, trying to focus on the digital clock on my nightstand, but the numbers swam before my eyes, refusing to resolve into anything resembling a comprehensible time.

Slowly, I forced myself to sit up, wincing as the world seemed to tilt and spin around me. My stomach lurched, threatening to expel whatever was left in there from the night before, and I immediately regretted moving so much as an inch. Groaning, I leaned back against the headboard, rubbing my aching forehead, and tried to remember what had happened.

Vaguely, I recalled a party...a lot of laughter...too many drinks...dancing...König...and then nothing. A cold sweat broke out on my skin as I began to worry about what I might have done. Had I made a fool of myself? God, I hoped not. The thought of facing everyone, or worse, Captain Price, with my embarrassment already felt like too much to bear.

With a sigh, I forced myself to sit up a little straighter, determined not to wallow in self-pity any longer. There was no use dwelling on the past. I needed to focus on the present and figure out how I was going to get through this day. I glanced around the room, taking in the scattered remnants of last night - empty bottles, discarded clothing, and a pair of shoes that definitely weren't mine. Well, at least someone else had had a good time last night. Now it was time for me to pay the price.