01.

CAU CAMPUS | MOVE-IN DAY

Dasia Jenkins

"DASIA, look at this campus, girl!" Her mom, Sheila, exclaimed while gripping the steering wheel

 "I'm looking at it, ma" she replied with a small giggle.

"You nervous, huh?" Sheila glanced over at Dasia. She was biting her acrylics, a bad habit she always needed to break. Dasia saw her mom glance at her from her peripheral and burst into a laugh.

"DUH, ma. How could I not be?" she threw her hands in the air, then slumped back into the passenger seat with a deep breath. "Okay, enough with the dramatics, but forreal, forreal. This gon' be so different than back at home. I know this what I signed up for but still, y'know?"

Dasia was from Mobile, Alabama, a small town where everybody knew everybody and would never let you forget it either. She and her family had all lived there their entire lives, but from a young age her mother instilled in her to dream big and go far. 

"I know exactly what you mean, baby. This is a big move so nerves are inevitable but I'm extremely proud of you taking such a big step!" Tears began to well up in Sheila's eyes. 

This moment was such an emotional one. What could prepare you for your only child moving off to college, in another state, at that. "You always gon' be my little girl, so one call and I'm on the way. You alreey know."

"Aww, I love you ma" Dasia said, dabbing the corners of her eyes, "Please don't make me cry though, cause my lashes WILL fall out." She looked around as they were turning in, then pulled down the sun visor above her head to look into the mirror and apply her lip gloss. Dasia always made sure she was in check, she refused to be caught slipping especially on the first day in her new city.

Back at home, Dasia was known for looks and body AND everything in between. She'd been a majorette dancer from the age of 6 and been busting her ass to be the best ever since. All her hard work had payed off and got her a scholarship to Clarke Atlanta University, whose dorms she was moving into today. 

"I love you too, Daij. Now come on, so we can get this stuff out the car. I know y'all start conditioning tonight." Sheila parked the car and looked over at Dasia with a smile.

"Oh my gosh, ma. Please don't remind me, I was practicing that damn dance all night"

WHOOSH

Sheila mushed Dasia, "I'm yo mama not yo friend, lil girl. Don't be cussing in my face." Dasia rolled her eyes and fixed her curls. She couldn't tell if her mom was literally trying to ruin the moment or not, so she brushed it off.

Woosah bitch, you still look good.

"Anyways, let's get this stuff out the car like you said." She huffed as she FLUNG the car door open and started to get out.

THUD

Dasia fell back into the car as somebody slammed into her. "Watch where you going, dafuq" she said trying to straighten herself out.

"Same way you need to watch yo mouth, shawty." Some dude said, he sized up Dasia before walking off. He was tall and lanky with some freeforms in his head. He looked like the type of nigga that was up to no good, but undeniably, he was fine too.

He ain't say excuse me or nothing, that was rude af. Dasia wasn't used to this at all, she might've had a little attitude but at least she had hospitality. Everybody did where she was from, is this what it's like in ATL? Her train of thought was interrupted by the trunk popping and her mom getting out the car.

"That lil nigga coulda said excuse me or sumn'" Sheila joked

"I know right!"

Dasia began grabbing her belongings out of the trunk of her mom's car and putting them in the trolley to roll up to her room.

- later on -

Dasia finally finished decorating her dorm , her and her mom said their goodbyes and went their separate ways

Dasia finally finished decorating her dorm , her and her mom said their goodbyes and went their separate ways. She was resting up before her first session of being on a college majorette dance team. Finally accomplishing her dreams, but feeling in a completely different world. The feeling was bittersweet.

*Alert from GroupMe: Dance Team*

Hello everyone, our first meeting as an official team is happening soon. Please join us for an ice breaker and a team building exercise. You will also get a first look at our first routine of the season, this will also be shared in a video after practice. Hope to see you soon and thanks in advance for your participation.

"Ugh, let me start getting ready" Dasia said, she got up and put her phone down. It was blowing up from the dance group chat, all the girls were claiming how excited they were to finally meet in person, but she knew better than to get excited. It's always the same with every competitive team, some girls are cool but a lot are catty. 

Instead of working together, it always seems like girls wanna compete with their own teammates. At least that's what it felt like to her. But all her qualms faded away as she finished getting ready, she couldn't wait to meet her team and see what freshman year had in store for her.