Chapter 18, uncoverings

Harry's perspective

I was starting to wonder where Taylor went when I suddenly see her and Cara walking back in to the dining room. I'm glad they get along, Cara means a lot to me. I look at Taylor's, trying to get some confirmation everything's okay but she doesn't even look at me. She just stands by her chair as Cara sits down in her own.

The table goes quiet and turns to Taylor as she clears her throat. "I'm really sorry guys, but I'm not feeling well, I'll just go lie down upstairs." There's a sad murmuring spreading. "But I'm so glad you all came! I've had such a good time with you and I've made some new great friendships. But please carry on!" She continues. Everyone tells her to get well and thanks for the food before she quietly leaves and heads for the staircase down the hall.

I try to ignore her strange behaviour and just continue the fun. There's no need to waste a good night. When everyone has finished eating we all kinda spread around the house. Some sitting outside, some in the living room and some in the kitchen.

I find my self in the kitchen with Abigail, Taylor's childhood friend. She helps me with the dishes. "So, what was Taylor like? Like in high school" I ask her. She's occupied drying some dishes but starts to tell me. "She used to be pretty shy. Like in middle school, but when we were about fifteen, and we started high school she changed quite a bit. She got a boyfriend, Drew, who was a senior. And I met her at the beginning of the semester, in math class, we were so close. Wherever she went, I went, and the other way." She pauses for a second.

" She pauses for a second

"She was really outgoing. She had tons of friends. And Drew definitely helped on that part." She seems annoyed every time she mention's this drew guy.

"Did you know Taylor wrote stories? Like poetry and short stories?" She asks, turning towards me. "No I didn't. She hasn't said anything about that." I answer, my voice filled with confusion.

"She was incredible. Like a proper Shakespeare. She even won a talent show at the school with a poem she wrote. After she won, she became a minor celebrity at the school. She was even in a tv show for talented teens! We were followed by cameras the whole day at school." She says while looking up into the air, I assume she's picturing it. "She was destined to do great things."

"It didn't last long though. Teens get jealous. They got jealous of the fame she was gaining. So at one point everybody decided she wasn't worthy of being their friend. They got convinced writing was for losers, and that she was only cool because of her boyfriend, Drew." She pauses.

"Of course I stayed. But everybody else? No. Drew even broke up with Taylor right before her prom, his statement: you don't really have friends anymore, and writing is super lame. Poor Taylor was heartbroken.
We didn't really have many classes together, so she spent a lot of time alone. our "friends" would always leave the table when she sat down, and would make silly excuses for why they couldn't meet up with her. They were really cruel. It was just me and her for the rest of high school really."

"I never would have thought" I tell her. "I think that's what she wanted in the beginning. She left Nashville as soon as high school was done. She abandoned the dream of being a writer and she moved to LA." Abigail finishes.

"I have noticed she's very interested in my writing in songs, but I just thought she liked the sound of it." I tell her, "She never really spoke of her past, not other than her parents and Maya".

We're interrupted by Lou, my old stylist and friend, telling us she has to get back. Abigail tells me it's probably time she left too and I lead them to the door. The rest of our guests are already there, putting on their shoes. I thank everybody for coming and they all leave at the same time. It's probably past  midnight when I close the door.

The house is suddenly back to quiet. A bit too quiet. I head upstairs to check on Taylor. When I reach the spare room where she lays, I notice she's asleep. I don't want to wake her up, so I just pull the duvet over her and kiss her goodnight. She looks so peaceful.

Writers note:
Please leave your thoughts!
And thank you for the votes💗