A LADY OF THE LIGHT

©2024 by Bukky Oremodu.
Anchor Scripture: Luke 15:4-7

***
“Hey, what are you doing tomorrow?” My roommate asks as I enter the room.

I shrug and drop my handbag on my bed. “Since it’s the weekend, I’ll rest.”

She gets up from her bed and comes over to my side, before removing my books from my bag and placing them on my desk.

“Will you come to Church with me?”

I glance at her, and then burst out laughing. “Are you being serious?”

“Why would I joke about this?”

“Kate, I’ve told you I’ll never step foot into a Church again. Were you dozing when I mentioned this?”

She smiles and joins me on my bed. “I heard you. But I know consistency is the key to success.”

This girl must need help.

I pick up my phone and open up my chats, scrolling through the messages that were coming in.

She rises to her feet, understanding that the conversation is over. “Someday, Rose, you’ll encounter Jesus.”

“It's pronounced 'Rosay'. I've told you before. Besides, Jesus must have given up on me by now.” I mutter, but she hears and looks back.

“Never. He’ll never give up until the very end.”

I grip my phone as her words sink in.
Although I am still staring at my phone, my mind is no longer on my chats. Rather, I begin to ponder on what she just said, if it is the truth or not.

***
A bird chirps, and seconds after several chirp back, creating a cacophony of some sorts. I grunt and roll over in bed, my sheets getting tangled between my legs and torso. Hostel cleaners call out to one another as they make the surroundings neat, the sound of brooms sweeping the hallways accompanying them.

I drift in and out of sleep, barely catching Kate’s goodbye as she rushes out of the room. Over time, the air becomes warmer, and I soon fling off the sheets.

My phone rings, jarring me. I grunt again and pat around my bed in search of it, my eyes still closed.

“Hello?” I say as I bring the device to my ear, a yawn escaping my mouth.

“Rose, how far? Where are you?”

“What is it now?”

“Mama, calm down jor. Better check the time before you start behaving like I stole your bread.”

The call cuts, and I peer at my screen, the time coming into focus as my sleepiness clears.

8:45pm.

I yawn and drop my phone. “It’s so late. How come–”

Then it hits me and I jump up, nearly tumbling to the ground. I dash around, taking my bath and dressing up, moving even faster than when I woke up at one night and caught that hostel rat staring at me while laying on my bed.

Once I reach the club, I seek Dapo out first.
“Thanks, D.”

He rolls his eyes. “You have 15 minutes to get ready.”

“Oh, please. It’s too much.”

And it was. I was dressed within 7 minutes.

“It’s the time we’ve all been waiting for. The showstopper of the night, the goddess of all dance moves–”

I hear Dapo as he introduces me to the crowd. I take a step forward, then turn back and hurry to my dressing table. My eyes scan through my cosmetic box, a particular item in mind.