THE QUESTION

© 2022 by Peace Ngozi Abraham.

Brought to you by Christian Writers and Readers Club.

----------
'Dad, does God still speak to humans in this generation, as you do read from the Bible?' Jonny, my five-year-old child asked me this question.

Well, I was quite shocked and taken aback at first. Then, after a while, not wanting to disappoint my little boy, I said with confidence, "Yes, my son. Of course, God still speaks."

To shut Johnny from asking any other form of a question, I began a long speech to validate my response.

"You know, Jonny, we have the Bible to guide us. He speaks to us through mediums like preachers, the Bible, and even sometimes, He uses people and circumstances to pass His message across to us. In the old testament, God spoke to His servants in a loud audible voice and sometimes through their minds. You remember the story of Samuel, right?"

"Yes, Daddy. I also want to be like Samuel who heard God's voice."
I was really happy that my son had a great wish but I still wondered if it was possible to hear God's audible voice.

Considering the multitude of sins in the world today, I guessed these mediums through which He speaks will just have to be enough.

As I was still ruminating, Jonny placed his hands on my cheek playfully and asked me a question that has kept me thinking for the past five days.
He said, "Daddy, has God ever spoken to you?"

Well, I believed that God speaks but that question was like an eye-opener for me. And for the first time since I gave my life to Jesus, I truly wanted to hear my Father's voice. I wanted to know what it meant to know God's voice. That question was the thing I needed to jumpstart my hunger.
Before I go too far in my story, let me briefly introduce myself.

My name is Ken Dallas. I'm just a normal guy in my mid-thirties with a beautiful wife, Mildred, and a lovely boy, Jonny. I'm also a Christian. I mean it was in my birth certificate and all forms of identification as my religion. I dutifully attended church service every Sunday. I had a well-paying job and wasn't in any form of debt. You could see how easy my life was, but I still knew that something was missing in this puzzle of my life. I just couldn't figure it out.

Everything was going all well for me up until tragedy struck.

Not too long after Jonny's probing question, he slumped while playing on a field with his friends.
We rushed him to the nearest hospital and he was diagnosed with a malfunction of a vital internal organ of his body. He was hospitalized for proper and intensive medical care and observation.

I was shattered and so was my wife. Mildred didn't have a good-paying job, so I was the only one footing Jonny's medical bills. It drained me both financially and emotionally but I didn't want to lose Jonny.

Jonny was a miracle to my family; we'd had over six miscarriages before he finally came. I was therefore ready to do anything and everything to make sure my sweet little boy was nursed back to perfect health.

As I got to my office one fateful morning some weeks later,  I was offered a sack letter from my place of work. They claimed I had been slacking on my duties and they had to let me go. What had happened was that I had to be there for Johnny at the hospital whenever Mildred had other things to attend to.

I tried explaining to them about the tragedy that had happened to my family and that this would only worsen our predicament. They didn't even hear me out.

It was so devastating for me because I was the pillar of finance in my family. I was so heartbroken to the point that I almost lost my mind.

I almost opted for drowning myself in alcohol like most of my acquaintances do, but I just couldn't do it. It wasn't because of my religion but majorly because I remember how my Mom never got out of any challenge she faced, by drinking; it killed her instead.

As I drove myself home, I just wanted to die. I didn't know what came over me all of a sudden. A voice in my inner voice said, "It doesn't make any sense to kill yourself because you just lost a job. This isn't the only job out there. You don't have to kill yourself. If you do so, what's going to happen to Mildred and Jonny?"

I wanted to believe what my inner voice was saying but I felt a stronger force urging me to just kill myself and end this wretched life of mine.
I was about to do so. However, my phone rang, and I picked it up. It was Mildred, she called just to say that she loves me and would always be there for me.

Wow, that was surprising because Mildred doesn't like to call. She prefers video-calling, and she does that only if it's urgent. Stunned, I couldn't reply to her. I just felt guilty for planning to leave without saying goodbye to Mildred and Jonny.
Everything happened fast, and I realized that I needed God at that moment. I went to the first place that came to my mind where I knew I could find Him—Church.

As I walked toward the podium, I felt as if someone was already waiting for me. I went to the altar and just laid down. I wept, my eyes were sore, and I couldn't say anything. I didn't even know what to say.

After crying for a long time, I stood up and was about to leave when I saw the Pastor. He wasn't shocked that I was there. Instead, he smiled and told me something I would never forget in my life. He said, "God knows you, sees you and loves you. He is glad that you came."

Even though at that time, I didn't understand what Pastor Mike said, I did understand later on.

After discussing the issues that I was facing with him, he prayed for me. I felt relieved and better. Pastor Mike took the time to explain to me all that I needed to know. I gave my life to Jesus that day genuinely and even though I didn't feel any goosebumps or any supernatural feeling, I had faith in God.  I was glad that God gave me another chance.

After the discussion I had with Pastor Mike, I decided to visit Johnny in the hospital. To my greatest surprise, I was told that Johnny wouldn't need surgery anymore and that he would be discharged the next day.

I was so happy and I had to ask the doctor what made them change their mind. The doctor informed me that the kidney stone had disappeared. Wow, so it was a kidney problem and it just disappeared?

I was still wondering why the doctor didn't look surprised by the sudden turn of events and I asked him. The doctor said that there was a particular woman that usually came and she would tell him that Johnny would be discharged on 27th which was tomorrow. He told me that he thought that she was mad until the test results came out again.

I immediately went to look for her, and I discovered that she was a very strong Christian and evangelist. I was so happy that I met her. I learned a lot from her.

This has been over one month now since I have been dismissed from my place of work. I can say that I have grown spiritually and my wife is very happy about the changes that are reflected in me. I can say that God indeed answered her prayers.

I no longer blamed God or myself for my dismissal but I now see it as a blessing. And to my amazement, God has been providing for us.

The question Jonny asked me five days ago made me so curious and I am actually in a fasting period. I have been reading the scriptures and my passion to hear God's audible voice began to grow in me earnestly.

On the last day, it was as if I was in a trance and I heard God's voice. Like, I was amazed and really glad. The first thing He told me was, "I know you, I see you and I love you." I couldn't stop crying and was, at the same time, full of joy. He told me a lot of things and then lastly He told me that my job will be restored to me with a higher position the next day.

I felt God's presence strongly and I continued to worship God till the next morning.

The first call I received was from my former place of work, and I was given the position of Manager with an additional fee serving as the salary I didn't receive in my absence.

I was so happy, and I now can boldly tell my son that God can speak to one with an audible voice if only one can believe and is open to listening to God.

I now go around offices to tell my coworkers about Jesus—that He is real and still speaks.

We should be more intentional about our relationship with God because it's only a life that is lived for God that truly counts.

--------

Get in touch with Peace to know more about her.

Wattpad: Built_by_God