Forgiveness and redemption

By JF Abraham
Brought to you by the Christian Writers and Readers Club
Mia was a smart and beautiful woman, working as a teacher in a government school. She loved God and others and was grateful that she was able to financially support herself all by herself. Instead of spending money on parties, she prepared meals and distributed them to the poor.
One day she was walking home after school when she noticed a hooded guy stalking her. She decided to confuse him by taking a busy lane that would be hard for him to catch up to. When she thought she lost him for good, he stood there a few yards away and soon as her eyes fell on him, he lifted up his hoodie and revealed the face she was once fond of. Bile rose from her gut but when he started to approach her, she turned back and ran blindly dashing at everyone who came in her path, she lost balance and fell into darkness.
Mia woke up in a quiet room with the smell of sanitizers and spirits. She felt something heavy on her head and touched it making it shoot up in pain.
A man in white coat barged in,
“Hello Ms. Mia! How are you doing?”
“Worst.” She blurted as she tried straightening up.
“Please rest!” The doctor assured
“What happened to me? Why am I here?”
“You had a fall and a small clot on your forehead.” He informed me softly.
“Is there an internal bleeding doctor?” Mia gasped
“Not at all, just rest now, you will be discharged in a few hours.” He prescribed a few medications and stood on his feet to leave.
“Who brought me here?”
“ I did.” A tall bearded man barged it. The doctor’s phone began to ring and he left, leaving us both alone.
“I couldn’t meet his eyes, his strong eyes…. His strong hands… I can still feel the pain of his whip clashing on me.” Mia’s own past haunted her
She plopped out of the bed when the nurse stopped her from leaving. She calmed down when she saw him leaving the room.
After a few days, Mia resumed going to school and as she was returning, she saw that man again.
“Claire, I need to buy some groceries, I'll see you tomorrow. “ She told her friend, a teacher just like her who would often walk home from work.
“ Sure, Mia. See ya!”
Mia tried to trick the stalking man by confusing him in the supermarket and for good she lost him. As she slipped out, Claire pulled her by the side and said, “Who is that guy stalking you?”

“Long story.” Mia sighed
“ Are you alright, Mia? Come home with me.” She dragged Mia to her place.
“What happened? Don’t worry your secret's safe with me, I won’t judge you.” She assured me.
“That’s Mark, my ex-husband.” Mia sighed again.
“I met him in church and we dated for a year before marriage. He was a bit short-tempered but I thought I would be able to handle him. But, that didn’t work out… he hit me so much for the silliest reasons and I bore everything he did. He would hit me with anything that his hand reached and once he whipped me so hard that I have scars that have still not healed. After all this, he would wake up the next morning and….say sorry.” Her voice cracked up in the end
“Why didn’t you call the cops over?”
“ He has a military background, they wouldn’t believe me, I thought.” She said, wiping her tears.
“I was pregnant and he promised he would never raise his hand on me again. 3 months passed, that was the best time of our marriage…” Mia paused, a smile forming her face.
“One day, I was returning home from work when it started raining heavily. My neighbor saw me by the sidewalk and offered a lift, he was a really handsome young man. Mark was so jealous seeing us that he pushed me down the steps without a second thought. I carried myself to the hospital in the rain limping and….. “Mia cried again.
“Let him hurt me, kill me but not any innocent child!” Claire gasped while Mia sobbed on her shoulder.
“I couldn’t handle it anymore, so I filed a complaint against him and fought for justice with a couple of friends. After my divorce, he was behind bars and I moved to a new city for a new start. I am seeing him after 5 years and I don’t know why he is stalking me.”
“Stay here with me, Mia. You are safe here.” Claire hugged her, “You are such a strong woman, you fought bravely for your lost child.” Mia returned the hug.
“It hurts me so much! I gave up everything for him! Even if time has passed, my wounds will never heal. I thought it did, but by the sight of him, everything came back. It’s so hard to move on, I can never trust a man so easily anymore. Every time I read the scriptures on forgiveness, I feel like throwing the Bible far from me. How can I forgive that man? He killed my child!! My baby! He had no rights!” Mia was on the top of her voice.
“Okay dear… calm down…calm down.” Claire rubbed her back gently.
Mia and Claire went to church the next day and Claire earnestly prayed for her good friend.
“We have a new member in church.” Pastor Phil announced
“Would you like to say a few words about yourself?” 
The crowd turned around to see the new member when Mark slowly stood on his feet and smiled at the congregation softly. Mia and Claire exchanged quick looks.
“Hello everyone, I am Mark….” He gave a quick glance at Mia, she shifted gaze almost immediately.
“I don’t want to hide anything about myself… I am a murderer, the worst sinner than anyone present here. I have hurt a lot of people, especially those who I promised to love and protect. But, now I am a new creation in Christ, my old self has died and now the resurrected Christ lives in me. Jesus forgave a terrible ill-tempered murderer like me, I beg you… to forgive me and give me another chance to mend my ways right.” Tears streamed down Mia’s face like a river. She couldn’t believe her ears but on the other side she was highly skeptical. The congregation cheered “Amen!” and everyone welcomed Mark warmly.
Pastor Phil gave him a small place in the church to stay and he gladly accepted it. He did all the meager work like sweeping, swabbing, gardening, car mechanic and filled his stomach with what people offered him as food. Mia watched everything Mark did but never did she speak with him even when he tried to.
A year later…
The church organized a farewell party for Mark, he was leaving to join the army base. Everyone bid a tearful adieu, he was leaving a large family, he never thought he would have. He searched eagerly for Mia, he just wanted to see her face one last time. Pastor Phil dropped Mark by the railway station and gave him a warm hug.
“May God be with you always!” He pat his back
“God sent you like a messenger when I was at my lowest point and you helped me taste God’s amazing goodness. Thank you for preaching and providing for me.”
“Give all the praise to God!” He grinned
Mark reached his cabin and was surprised to find Mia there. He dropped his luggage down and fell before Mia’s feet.
“I can never reverse time nor can I erase your memories. Please give me a chance, I want to be the husband you ever dream of. I want to be your man who would love you like Jesus does and I swear I will protect you and your children.”
Mia reached out to Mark and pulled him to his feet.
“I forgive you, my dear husband.” She said firmly with tears filling her eyes.
Mark lifted Mia off her feet as she giggled softly by the sudden gesture. He placed a soft kiss on her cheeks and they both happily got off the train to start a whole new life again with each other.

Author’s Note:
You can follow me via wattpad – JF_Abraham and instagram - representmessiah7.
Shalom!