REKINDLING DEAD FAITH

© 2022 by Dilenu

Brought to you by Christian Writers and Readers Club

Yinka threw her head back and heaved a tired sigh.  When was it all going to end? She thought.

Her eyes drifted to the paper she held and moisture filled her eyes. The list contained all the bills she needed to pay before the month ended.

Where am I going to get the money, Lord?  She silently asked but got no answer.

Her ears perked up as the front door opened and closed.

"Good afternoon, Mom," said a voice. 

Her head turned and her eyes landed on her 12-year-old daughter.

"Afternoon, darling; how was school?"

Her daughter's eyes dimmed and her shoulder dropped.  "I got an E on my Maths test." Sorrow clouded her eyes. 

"Don't worry, keep working hard and you will get an A someday." Yinka cracked a smile. 

"I hope so. Otherwise, I won't be able to study civil engineering."

Yinka shook her head. "Don't say that, you will be able to fulfill all your dreams. Now, go and change."

Yinka's daughter nodded and walked off to her room. Minutes later, she returned wearing a T-shirt and shorts.

"What's for lunch, Mom?"  Her daughter asked as she took a seat opposite her.

Yinka grimaced. "I haven't made anything. Have some biscuits in the meantime."

"Aww, why?" Her daughter let out a groan. "I was looking forward to some hot homemade meal."

A sad smile graced Yinka's lips. "Sorry, dear. I haven't been able to go grocery shopping."

Her daughter's eyes darkened and understanding shimmered in them.  "It's okay, mom. Everything will be okay soon. I will get the biscuits."

Yinka bit her lips as different thoughts invaded her mind. Pain stabbed her heart as she thought of the circumstances she and her daughter found themselves in. Ever since she lost her job six months ago, she and her daughter were barely able to survive. For the past six months, they had lived on her savings but now her savings were fast depleting.  And everything was looking bleak.

However, in the midst of all the troubles, she couldn't stop giving thanks to God for blessing her with an understanding daughter.  Over the past several months, Yinka's faith in God had become shaky but her daughter, Yewande, was always there to encourage her to keep believing.

The squeaking of a chair brought her back to the present.  Yewande had just returned to her seat and was opening up the packet of biscuits. She looked up and stretched the box to Yinka.

"Do you want some?"

"No, dear."

"Okay."  Yewande shrugged a shoulder and took a bite.

Yinka turned back to the pieces of paper scattered in front of her. She leaned over and arranged them into a neat pile.  She picked up her purse and rose to her feet. 

"Where are you going?" Yewande looked at her with raised brows.  

Yinka thought for a second before answering. "I will be back. Just say inside," she said and headed towards the door. 

Rays from the scorching sun streamed on her as she pushed the door open and stepped out. She bowed her head and climbed down the steps.

"Stop right there!"