THE SNEAKY SIDE

©2022 by Toinpre Donald

Brought to you by the Christian writers and Readers club.

Lightning flashed bringing the filled parking lot to view. Cars of all sizes and colors lined the lot while bikes and bicycles were sheltered from the storm by the eaves of the church building. Lightning flashed again and Bree saw how far she would have to run to cross the street–not that far. She shuddered when thunder boomed and rubbed her hands together. She was cold, but late for church. This was her cross to bear for not listening to the voice that told her to pack an umbrella when she left for work. 

Tugging her hoodie to cover her brown curls, she lifted her dress, watched the road one last time, and darted into the night. Lightning flashed and if you happened to be looking out the window, you would have spotted a girl in a yellow dress crossing the street to Graceway Bible Church. She maneuvered through the run-off water draining into the sewer and ran straight for the heavy metal doors. Safely by the door, Bree could already hear the sounds of music and laughter coming from inside but what pushed her to open the door was the warmth coming from within and that she was late. 

Please let it be John at the door. Please let it be John at the door. She prayed as she retrieved her bag from underneath her hoodie and dropped her dress. It was slightly wet on the seams. It was also her fault as she thought wearing a maxi dress to work would make her stand out. She did but she also should have thought about lifting it when she started her marathon for church. Silently, peeked through the open door and saw a familiar face. Yes! She smiled and stepped in completely. Pushing the hoodie off her head, she shook out her hair and blessed whosoever dimmed the lights. She looked like she took a stroll in the rain, instead of a three-mile run. 

Tapping the blue cashmere sweater-wearing usher from behind, she met warm brown eyes. John Eastwood had to be delegated to welcome guests at the front door and was more of smiles and hugs than his twin sister, Salome, who was Bree's bestie and Head of the Welfare team for the program. “Welcome, Bree.” He smiled, pulling her in for a hug.

“No, no, not like this.” Bree cautioned raising her dress so he could see her wet shoes. John gave her a once over and his brows rose in amusement. “Don't you dare laugh?” 

“Of course.” His voice betrayed him. He must think this is funny, Bree scoffed. I'd like to see how you could stay dry running in this storm. “That must be quite the swim you took to get here.” Oh, no, you did! Bree's eyes widened in anger. 

“John!” She cried,  hitting him on his arm. “Stop it! I was late. The storm came out of nowhere. And I'm working the tables tonight. You know how Sal can get. Now quiet, before someone notices us.” Bree shushed him. She was standing in the small foyer while John was standing in the large auditorium. 

The stage was the brightest thing around and Pastor Jeff was giving his sermon dressed in jeans and a red hoodie that had PAID FOR BY JESUS' BLOOD in white letters. His sleeves were pushed to his elbows and his long black curls were raised in a ponytail. Too bad, she thought. She always liked it when he let his hair down. Behind him, the worship team was seated on high stools and she spotted Ash strumming his guitar, filling the room with their favorite song, Reckless Love. Of course, he's the one responsible for this. He was dressed like his brother in jeans and a hoodie but Ash said AMAZING GRACE. HOW SWEET THE SOUND in fancy cursive and surrounded by musical notes. Typical Ash, she smiled and fixed her attention back on John, he was talking. 

“I think you better take off your hoodie,” He suggested, offering a hand. “We'll run it through the dryer in the basement.” She handed him her back and shrugged off Ash's hoodie. This one had ALREADY LOVED, ALREADY CHOSEN on it–one of Asher's non-music-related ones. Her bare arms exploded with goosebumps and she wrapped her arms around herself. Maybe a yellow sundress with tiny straps for sleeves wasn't her best choice but it was summer. Who knew it would turn from sunny to stormy in mere minutes?  “I can't do anything for your dress though,” He handed her bag back. “Maybe hot cocoa by the table would help. I'm sure Sal wouldn't mind.” He led her into the dim room as quietly as he could. The congregation was fixed on Pastor Jeff. Who wouldn't? He was a man who grabbed your attention with his six-foot-five frame and bright smile. Bree considered him the best youth pastor they had ever had. She greeted Ed, handling one of the cameras at the back. He flashed her a smile and spoke into his headset if his view was okay.