Chapter Seven

Merely a stone's throw from my home, Jaen, one of the village doctors, emerged from around a neighboring house

Her determined stride bore down on me as Zeph lingered closely behind, his hand poised to restrain me before I darted further away.

His intention faltered upon spotting Jaen's approach, a thunderous growl rumbling warningly from his chest.

Jaen hesitated in her advance, warily assessing the scene before fixing her gaze on me.

"I came to perform a checkup on you, K'lani," she announced evenly. "I assumed you'd be alone this morning and wanted to grant you some solitude. I didn't realize you were still with your. . . partner."

Zeph bristled at Jaen's words and advanced threateningly, positioning himself protectively in front of me. "Touch my mate and you'll lose more than just your head," he snarled menacingly.

Jaen's eyes widened in astonishment, nearly dropping her medical bag at Zeph's words.

"Your mate?" she stammered incredulously.

Zeph's irritation flared further at Jaen's reaction. "Yes, K'lani belongs to me," he retorted sharply.

A surge of desire rippled through me briefly, swiftly suppressed as I reminded myself that now was not the time for such thoughts.

Jaen was taken aback by the revelation. "Oh my stars. . . it finally happened," she gasped out in disbelief. "I must inform Jeremah."

As she turned to leave in haste, Zeph unleashed a commanding growl that froze her in place.

Trembling visibly, Jaen recoiled from his imposing presence as he stood there exuding dominance without needing to move a muscle – his Alpha power unmistakable even to a human like her.

"You will take us to him."

His command echoed through the air, a rumble like distant thunder.

Jaen's response was immediate, her head bobbing in quick succession as she turned, her gaze fixed on the ground. Nervously, she toyed with the clasps of her medical bag.

"Of-of course. Follow me," she murmured, attempting to sound composed but betraying a hint of fear in her stuttering voice.

With hesitant steps, Jaen led the way toward Jeremah's dwelling.

As we trailed behind her, Zeph shot me a smug grin, his eyes sparkling with anticipation. I couldn't help but shake my head at his confidence, though I couldn't deny the warmth that spread through me at his subtle show of support – a rare occurrence apart from Melori.

Curious glances followed our group as we traversed the village.

Jaen hurried along, her movements tense and uneasy under the scrutiny of Zeph's piercing gray gaze. His aura exuded authority, growing more palpable with each step towards Jeremah's abode.