vii. ignorance

𝐍𝐎𝐁𝐎𝐃𝐘 𝐆𝐄𝐓𝐒 𝐌𝐄
brady's pov.

❝ 🏐📷🎧🍙☕️ ❞

"BRADY, YOU seriously said that to her?" Preston asks me, and I nod as I avoid his and mason's eyes, knowing they're both judging me.

"Yes, bro. I don't know why I said it. She told me to be honest, and I didn't even think before I spoke to her. I feel awful, but I haven't seen her since I said it." I mumble. "Why can't it be 4th period already? I gotta speak to her."

"Aww, you are capable of human emotions!" Mason says in a sarcastic-sweet tone, and I roll my eyes.

"I always have been." I reply.

They continue to tease me about having feelings, which I don't comment on since they're at least talking to me. Connor, however, is not. I went up to him multiple times, and he ignored me the entire time. The only thing he said to me was fuck off when I asked him to be partners in 2nd period.

Finally the bell rings for 4th period, and I immediately get up and walk quickly to history, not even bothering to turn my music on in my headphones like I usually do.

When I sit down, I wait for Athena to come in, and when she does, she doesn't smile at me like she usually does.

"Athena, I—" I start, but she cuts me off.

"Don't worry, I won't talk to you." She mutters, and I shake my head.

"No, that's not—"

"I'm finally not talking to you, why don't you silently celebrate to yourself, yeah?" She says semi-sarcastically.

I swallow before nodding, not wanting to make her annoyed with me. "Yeah, uh... okay." I guess that's how it feels to be constantly interrupted.

She puts both airpods in and does her work silently, not speaking a single word the entire class. I hesitate to wear my headphones, but I do so anyways. Maybe I can apologize at lunch?

About 10 minutes before class ends, I decide I wanna try to apologize again because I'm not gonna make any progress if I don't apologize.

"Athena?" I mutter, and she takes an AirPod out, sending me and annoyed look. I take off my headphones to show I'm focused on her right now.

"Yeah?" She asks, sounding unimpressed.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean what I said, and I feel awful." I mutter, and her eyebrows raise in surprise. "I was being an asshole, and I had no reason to. I realized my mistake in first period today, and I just— I really do feel bad. Can we—" I hesitate with my next words.

"Can we what?" She asks me.

"Can we be cool?" I make eye contact with her, and her face lights up.

"I'd like that." She smiles softly. "That means no more being an asshole to me, right?"

I nod. "Mhm. I won't be an asshole. This doesn't mean—"

"I know, I know, this doesn't mean we're friends." She rolls her eyes jokingly. "But we're cool."

"Uh... yeah." I nod. "We're cool."