CHAPTER FIFTEEN: STILL THE ONE

"Hey Hayden wait up" Liam called after her as soon as they exited the cafeteria to go back to the second half of the day.

Hayden, walking alongside Niall and Zayn, they stopped and waited for him to catch up.

"Liam? What's up?" Hayden greeted, noticing the serious expression on his face as he approached her.

"You got a minute?" Liam asked, his tone carrying a hint of urgency.                                                             

As Hayden glanced at Zayn and Niall, she felt a comforting squeeze of her hand from Zayn. It was a silent gesture of support before they parted ways. With a reassuring smile exchanged between them, Zayn and Niall began to walk away, leaving Hayden standing there, her curiosity lingering as she turned her attention back to Liam.

"Sure, what's on your mind?" Hayden replied, feeling a sense of concern wash over her.

Liam's voice was tentative as he spoke, his gaze fixed on the ground beneath his feet.

"You'll come, right? I would very much like it if you'll be there," he said, a hint of uncertainty in his tone.

Hayden's brow furrowed in response to his request, a mixture of confusion and apprehension clouding her expression.

"Mom misses you, and so does the rest of the family," Liam continued, lifting his eyes to meet hers. "They heard you're back, and they really want to see you."

Hayden blinked, the weight of his words sinking in slowly, yet her mind struggled to grasp their full significance.

Liam gently flicked her forehead, a knowing smile playing at the corners of his lips as he observed her bewildered expression.

"It's my birthday on Saturday... remember?" he reminded her softly.

Hayden's eyes widened in realization, a mixture of surprise and guilt washing over her features.

"Oh my God, That's right. I'm sorry Liam," she exclaimed, her voice tinged with regret. "I've forgotten. I don't mean to—it's just that... a lot has happened."

He smiled warmly, relieved by her assurance. "No worries, just promise me that you'll be there. And I know you're going to ask... so you being there is enough of a gift. You don't have to bring anything."

She returned his smile. "I'll be there," she affirmed. After all, he was her friend, and attending each other's birthdays was just part of the deal, wasn't it?

"I'll be heading there on Friday. Will you come with me then? You know, like what we always did?" Liam asked, his eyes sparkling with anticipation.

"What?" She asked surprised and confused.

Hayden mulled over Liam's invitation, her thoughts swirling with conflicting emotions. Would it be appropriate to accept his offer? Going up a day earlier before the party was a tradition between her and Liam, allowing them to prepare and spend extra time with his family. As his longtime girlfriend, she was practically considered a member of the family herself back in the day. 

Perhaps there was nothing wrong with reconnecting with them again.

However, she couldn't shake off the concern about Dani. Would it be fair to her? After all, she was Liam's current girlfriend, and this trip was supposed to be their quality time together, not Hayden and Liam's.

"Is Dani coming too?" Hayden validated, seeking clarity.

"Uh, no, she had other plans with her mom," Liam confirmed, sensing her doubtful reaction. He paused, considering how to address her concerns.