"Mom, you've already bought us way too much. We appreciate your enthusiasm and help, but we really don't need anything. We have more than enough. Why don't we talk about something else. Your birthday is on Monday. What would you like to do? I'll take you to lunch, dinner, breakfast . . . Would you like a spa day? Maybe get your hair and nails done? What would you like? What can I do for you to make your day special?"

"You want to take me out?"

"Mom, come on, don't act all shocked that I want to do something nice for you. It's your birthday. Let's do something."

"Logan, you usually just send flowers and a nice gift."

"I know that, but I'm trying to be better. What would you like to do? Rory isn't able to do anything, but I thought it might be nice for the two of us to do something together. Maybe even do something with Dad and Honor. We can spend the day together as a family. It might be the last chance that we have time to do something before the babies are born. So what would you like? What would make your birthday special?"

"I guess maybe we could do lunch."

"Do you want a spa day? What would you like? Lunch is only about an hour event. Maybe two. Your birthday lasts all day."

"Shouldn't you be working?"

"I was going to take the day off, unless you don't want me to. It's your choice, Mom. I'm making an effort to be a better son, and to spend more time with you. I never got to do that growing up, and we've never had the best relationship because of it. I promised to do my best to break the cycle, so that is what I am trying to do. I want to give you the best birthday I can. Just like I do for Rory. You don't have to decide right now. You have a few days to think about it. But whatever you decide, we'll do it. Just you and I, unless you want to spend the day with someone else, or include other people."

"That sounds nice Logan. I'll think about it. Thank you Sweetie."

"I'm sorry that you didn't get to be a better Mom to us. Honor and I really missed out."

"Well maybe we can remedy that with your babies. Maybe I'll try to do everything with them that I didn't get to do with my own children."

"I think that sounds like an amazing idea. But can I make one request?"

"What's that?"

"I know that Rory has never been your favorite person, and that you two have your differences. But I really need you to be nicer to her. She doesn't have to be your favorite person, but I do need you to cut her some slack, and at least try to get along. Rory isn't going anywhere. And I really think that if you made an honest effort, that you would realize that you and Rory have a lot more in common than you ever realized."

"You're right Honey . . ." Shira said with a sigh as she sat down on the bed in front of Logan. "I'm sorry, I'm trying. This is all very new to me."

"Society Shira is pretty engraved in your brain."