Chapter IV

A tense silence descended upon the room again, broken only by the soft hiss of escaping steam from Crainus's vents. The weight of the situation, the lies Elara had told, the uncertainty about Anya, hung heavy in the air.

Crainus shifted uncomfortably, a metallic groan echoing from his body as he turned towards the door. Then, in a gesture completely unexpected, he reached out and switched on a small, old-fashioned radio tucked away on a shelf.

A crackle of static filled the room, followed by the smooth melody of a familiar tune. Elara's heart skipped a beat as the opening chords of "I Don't Want to Set the World on Fire" by The Ink Spots drifted through the sterile space.

She looked at Crainus, surprised by the choice. This was a song from a bygone era, a time before the demon's hold, a time when Vaporwarn pulsed with a different kind of life.

Crainus turned towards her, his metallic hand reaching out hesitantly. "May I have this dance, Elara?" he rumbled, his voice surprisingly soft.

Elara's breath caught in her throat. It had been years, decades perhaps, since they had last danced. Yet, the memory of his touch, the warmth that radiated from his human body, felt like a yesterday dream.

With a hesitant smile, she placed her hand in his. His grip, though surprisingly gentle, felt cold and foreign against her skin. Yet, as he led her onto the small space in the center of the room, a flicker of the man she once knew seemed to flicker in his cold, metallic eyes.

They swayed to the music, a slow, awkward dance that spoke volumes more than any words.

"Remember," Crainus rasped, his voice low and distorted by his metallic form, "the day we met at the Inventors' Guild Fair?"

Elara chuckled softly, a melodious sound that echoed in the sterile room. "How could I forget?" she teased. "You were so nervous, Crainus. You tripped over your own feet and spilled punch all over my new dress."

Crainus let out a sound that resembled a metallic chuckle. "I believe I apologized profusely," he rumbled.

Elara smiled, a warm memory washing over her. "You did," she agreed, her voice laced with affection. "But you also won a giant stuffed bear at the ring toss, just to make it up to me."

They continued to dance, their movements slow and tentative. Yet, with each sway, with each shared breath, the awkwardness seemed to melt away. They were no longer the ruler and his wife, but two people bound by a love that time and circumstance couldn't erase.

"And then," Elara continued, her voice filled with nostalgia, "you surprised me with a picnic in the Botanical Gardens the following week. We spent the whole afternoon talking, sharing dreams..."

Crainus remained silent, but a flicker of warmth seemed to emanate from his metallic form. "You had the most beautiful laugh, Elara," he finally said, his voice a low rumble. "Still do."

Elara blushed, the compliment warming her despite the coldness of his touch. "And you," she teased, leaning in closer, "had the most brilliant mind."

They danced in silence for a while longer, lost in the melody of a bygone era. The weight of the present, the worry about Anya, seemed to fade for a brief moment.

As the song ended, Elara pulled back slightly, gazing into his cold, metallic eyes. "We haven't danced like this in years," she remarked, her voice soft.

"Too many burdens," Crainus rumbled, his voice laced with a hint of regret.

Elara placed a hand on his metallic cheek, a gesture that felt heartbreaking in its contrast. "Perhaps," she said, her voice filled with a quiet strength, "we can make time for some of the good things again. For family, for laughter... for a dance every now and then."

Crainus studied her for a long moment, his gaze unreadable. Then, a flicker of something akin to hope seemed to flicker within his metallic features.

"Perhaps," he echoed, his voice gruff but strangely hopeful.