Chapter 62 - Black Magic

Chapter 62

"Dear young master, my lady-in-waiting cannot turn around."

"And why is that so?"

"Well..." She glanced back at Athlos, "Since you're persistent, I hope you will keep a secret. My lady-in-waiting has a severe allergy to Marzipans, and I conjecture that in the rush of meetings, someone might've mistakenly served her. Now, her face is very..." Esperanza paused and glanced, "Not in the right condition, I would say. I hope you would protect her dignity and not insist upon looking at her,"

The man hesitated. Apparently, he was a gentleman who was now trapped in her words, deliberating whether it would be right to violate the self-esteem of a lady over a trivial matter. He sighed, defeated by his conscience, and bowed apologetically.

"I apologise for making you uncomfortable and wish you a pleasurable time,"

"Thank you for your consideration. So do I," Esperanza smiled and curtsied back to him. She took Athlos Hiver's hand, and guided her out of the garden, ensuring her face was covered, while the man watched them depart under the solitary moonlight.

...

"My Lady, would you like to inform the duke---" Avyana scrambled behind Esperanza, catching up to her fast-paced lady who was heading towards the carriage. Esperanza gestured for the coachman to help Athlos Hiver to the carriage and smiled back at Avyana.

"Certainly. Tell him that I might've eaten something wrong, feel sick, and send my apologies and regrets to the nobles who spent the effort of coming to my debutante, only to be sent off in such a manner,"

"But, my lady, it's such a grand event. Moreover, you're the main character. Wouldn't it be highly rude if---" Avyana persisted, but Esperanza gestured for her to not continue.

"I would rather disrespect the fickle than leave the loyal," Esperanza asserted, and climbed into the carriage. Before closing the curtains, she glanced back at Avyana, and added, "Don't worry. The Duke will take care of it," With this, Esperanza closed the curtains, and the carriage set off.

Inside the carriage, Athlos Hiver shuffled uncomfortably, trying to avoid Esperanza's intense gaze. Her senses were clearing, but her chest persisted to throb painfully. She sneaked a glance at the cross mark on her hand, which was yet flickering.

"A symbol of black magic?" Esperanza intervened in Athlos's thoughts, "That's pretty interesting,"

"How_How do you know?" Athlos Hiver asked, startled and taken back.

"I just know certain things," Esperanza smiled, "Now, don't you think you owe me an explanation?"