Chapter 58 - Debutante (4)

Chapter 58

"What a wonderful song it was, wasn't it?" Esperanza smiled as they both curtsied at each other after finishing the dance.

"It indeed was." Lev nodded along. "Do you plan to head back to the ball?"

"Hmm... I do plan to, although this balcony enraptures me and makes me reluctant to do so," She sighed solemnly.

"Well, the balcony of the royal hall is certainly appraised for its entrancing view, though that was long ago when it was just the balcony of this palace, which was earlier known as the Serenity palace. Now, after its conversion to the royal hall, within the glamor of the ball, its view is no longer appreciated." Lev said. His expression made it obvious, that till now he hadn't noticed the view, but right now, after she indirectly pointed it out, he had a lucid look at the view. Even he was enraptured, and speechless for the following few moments.

"I think I should head back now," Esperanza broke the silence a couple of seconds later. Lev broke out of his daze. "It was a pleasure dancing with you, Young Duke."

"Young Duke sounds a bit formal," Lev mused, "Since we're engaged, I suppose there are no restrictions on us being informal with each other? Let us call each other by our names."

"Sure, why not?" Esperanza smiled, inched forward, tip-toed, and whispered in his ear, "You may call me Ranza, Lev." She said mischievously. She maintained the position for a second or so, and Lev found himself feeling hot in the face as the corners of his ears turned slightly red.

"S_Sure," He stuttered and felt utterly embarrassed.

"I guess you do have a cute side to yourself, huh?" Esperanza smirked and added, "Well, I like it," causing him to go even redder. "I hope to see you often in the academy when the holidays end." She said, and strode off, leaving him alone in the cold balcony.

But despite the cold breeze racing around him, Lev felt as though warm vapors were enveloping his face, and even if it was just for a moment, a strange sensation mingled.

...

"Esperanza! Did you have your first dance with the Young Duke?" Athlos Hiver asked as Esperanza returned and Esperanza nodded. "But why out there?! What if----!"

"Oh come on, stop worrying about people," Esperanza interrupted and waved her off. Athlos Hiver pursed her lips.

"But still... did..." She spoke, paused, and breathed as if trying to choose the appropriate words, "Have you actually taken a fancy to him?" She muttered.

"Hmm... I guess I have, he's pretty cute." Esperanza smiled, and Athlos Hiver kept her head low and muttered incoherently under her breath.

"What?" Esperanza asked, perplexed at her peculiar reaction, inching closer to hear her words.

"I_I recall one of my acquaintances had asked me to meet him during the ball, I almost forgot," She said, pulling up a smiling face. "He must be waiting, I shall go and meet him." And before even Esperanza could respond, Athlos Hiver walked away, her face crestfallen, and a burning sensation in her throat and eyes, threatening to spill forward what she swore would never outside her dark world;

Tears.