Chapter 48 - A Blind Child (2)

Chapter 48

Though unfocused but devastatingly beautiful, his grey eyes were stained with tears. His hair was matted coils while he wore rags, obviously giving off the impression of a destitute child. In his hand was a tanghulu, which made Qing Lin's face unconsciously scrunch up with disgust. The boy hastily stood up.

"I'm_I'm sorry!" The boy apologized as he hastily stood up. From behind him came a shrill, dry, and petulant yell.

"This rascal! How dare you run away?!" A man in his forties neared as the crowd paved way for him, symbolizing that he was a noble. The kid trembled violently, as he tried to step sideways, but another man grasped his hand. The man in his forties approached the boy and roughly grabbed his hair.

"Dirty little rascal! Though I'd let you off after you sullied my goods with your hands?!" He said as he pushed the kid. Qing Lin, who had just stood up at the very spot she fell to leave quietly from this mess, was startled when the kid fell in her direction and then upon her, once again.

Goddamn, it.

She sighed and stood up once again, brushing the dirt off her clothes.

It's fine, it's okay. Just endure.

The kid whimpered in pain, still trying his best to protect the Tanghulu in his hand while being apathetic to his safety. Qing Lin had decided to leave the mess earlier, but now, something unconsciously tugged inside her. She reached out her hand, waiting for him to take it and stand up, however, he stared at it for a moment then averted his gaze down. She retracted her hand, realizing the kid was hesitant in taking up a stranger's hand.

"Oh, pretty lady!" The man in his forties approached her. "It seems that this brat has pushed you twice, right? What a rascal he is! I apologize on his behalf." He grabbed the kid's hand and pulled him up. "I'll teach him a good lesson while you continue to be in your way!"

"Is he a slave? Or an orphan?" Qing Lin inquired. The man was baffled.

"He's an orphan under my care. Why do you inquire, pretty lady?" The man stroked his beard as he mused and observed her from head to toe. Qing Lin took out a small pouch that was attached to her waist by a strap. The small pouch jingled merrily when she held it and waved it. It was the particular thing she picked up from Salvador's desk: A pouch of ample gold. She threw it at the man, who caught it.

"I'll be taking him. Check if the money's enough." The man opened the pouch and was surprised at the dazzling amount of gold. He looked up at the girl again: everything about her was ordinary, then how was she able to possess such an amount of gold? However, looking down at the gold, he smacked his lips. Who cared about that? That little boy was exasperating and he was looking for a way to sell him somehow. What an amazing opportunity he had just managed to grasp!

"Sure, pretty lady." He threw the boy forward again at her. This time, instead of falling, she caught him. "It was a pleasure meeting you. I'll be heading back to my inn." The man said as walked through the crowd with the other man following him. Meanwhile, the crowd had dispersed.

Qing Lin looked at the boy, who had his gaze down. She helped him stand up, then turned around. However, the boy grasped a part of her dress and held onto it. She looked back at him and raised an eyebrow.

"You want to say something?" She asked. The boy nodded his head and finally dared to look up. His eyes caught her off guard once again and she looked away for a second, then looked back at him.

"Thank_Thank you," He stuttered. Qing Lin nodded her head, acknowledging his statement.

"Um... This_This is for y_you..." He said as he held up the Tanghulu. She stared at him, as he looked down again, his hand still holding up the sweet. Instinctively, Qing Lin felt she shouldn't accept that sweet. A warning bell seem to ring in her ears the moment he presented it to her. Her senses were starting to feel nauseous. She shook her head in her reply.

"Please_Please... accept this. At least, have_have a b_bite..." He insisted. Qing Lin sighed, realizing that the further he declined, the more he would insist. Besides, one bite should be alright. She took it from him and had a bite. Immediately, she regretted it.

The taste of the candy was sickly sweet, nauseating, and unbearable. It felt as though someone had forced something rotten down her throat. Promptly, she felt the need to throw it up.

"How's_How's it?" The child asked, looking at her with expectant eyes. Without replying to him, she handed him the candy and back in the direction of the dark alley. Finally, at a safe corner, she spat and threw it up. She shivered as a voice that she had heard for the first time, yet felt so familiar, echoed in her head.

Sister! I've brought this for you! This is my favorite one!

Sister! Sister!

The voice was nauseating and sweet, like the candy she had savored.

"Shut up..." She trembled, covering her ears. The word sister kept repeating in her head with millions of sentences she couldn't properly hear. It was a state of pandemonium. Her head started to hurt awfully.

"I'm not your sister... I'm not anyone's sister... I'm..."

I'm just Qing Lin.

Tell me, who are you?