Chapter 4: Savannahs Theories

I wake up just as I'm getting to the same part of the dream, I see him, the jet black wolf with the sky blue eyes, stood ontop of the town hall building, it seems like he's waiting for me, but as soon as I get close he is gone.. then I wake up, every time it's the same, I have no time to think on the dream as I hear my mother calling for me from downstairs, I jump up and pull on my jacket, there is no way I'm going to miss a chance to see Savannah and get her thoughts on our visitor, I'm just hoping that I can get more than the few beta Kieron theories she had this morning.
The walk to Savannahs house is short, she lives just up the street from me, it's lucky as our friendship would be doomed otherwise, in our community there is no schools or youth clubs all the children of the moon kids are homeschooled and untill you get married, you are supposed to be chaperoned everywhere you go, I remember asking mother once for the reason but she just said it's for our own safety, that werewolf men were unpredictable when they came of age and they didn't want us young girls to be stuck in their path, not that it's common here, when we turn 18 we shift only once then after that only a select few town elders are given permission to shift and never in the town always in the forest so apart from hearing the odd howl every now and then you wouldn't believe we even are werewolves, so if your parents friends didn't have children the same age or have children at all then you had no way to make friends.
Savannahs house was a lot like mine only a slightly smaller version, her father being my fathers beta and also owning our town supermarket means they enjoy much of the same luxury as we do, some in our community were not so lucky unfortunately, unlike the capital we didn't have huge skyscrapers and castles, I remember the first time Savannah and I saw the pictures in the 'Crescent Star' we couldn't believe what we were seeing and that's when our love and obsession with the capital started.
We entered savannahs house and gave the usual greetings and made our way upstairs to savannahs bedroom it was a huge room with baby pink walls and twinkling lights in the ceiling that made it look like a star filled sky her bed a huge king size with pink silk sheets and fluffy pillows, like me Savannah was an only child so her parents spared no money when it came to giving her exactly the bedroom she dreamed of, we sat down on the bed and turned on the radio although it had only one station and the music wasn't great it gave us the perfect background noise so we could speak freely.
"So come on Lizzy, tell me what have you found out?" She whispered
"Honestly Savannah today has been so weird, first my chores got cut short to go shopping with mother" the shocked look on her face said that she was just as freaked out about this as I was "then when I got home I realised I had not made fathers breakfast and he wasn't even there to punish me, I shouted at mother, like actually raised my voice and nothing... no punishment" it took her a few seconds to process what I had told her "honestly lizzy it's been justas crazy for me, first this morning when we came home after I saw you mother was talking so sweetly and telling me she has ordered a new dress for me, she even asked me if I liked the dress or wanted to change anything!" To some this may be no big deal but we were never asked for our opinions on our clothes, we wore the same plain, simple, long sleeve ankle length dresses wherever we went, even our 'special occasion' dresses were no different although they may have a simple pattern "she even smiled when I tried it on and told me I looked lovely!! Lovely lizzy!!" I think the look on my face must have scared her because she physically shook me to check I was still breathing.
"I don't know what's going on Savannah but between my mother not making me do chores and your mother smiling! This has got to be big"
We spent the rest of our time together coming up with theories everything from alien abduction to experimental testing, in the end we agreed that we would have to wait until tomorrow to find out,
By the time we reached back home it was getting dark out, father still hadn't returned and the house looked like it had been attacked by cleaning fairies, everything perfectly in place and shining, not a spec of dust and the furniture in the guest living room had been uncovered, the white sheets that mother used to protect the sofas gone and mothers fine china tea set had been set out on the coffee table, never in my life had I seen it out of the display cabinet, it was a beautiful white tea set with a delicate royal blue and gold floral design, it took all my mental strength not to go over and touch it, but I decided my life would be hell of if I accidentally cracked any of it, father would skin me alive! He had bought the set for mother as a wedding present and it had lived behind the glass in the cabinet ever since.
"Elizabeth darling I'm going to run you a bath then I will set your hair in the curling rods" mother said as she was making her way up the stairs, what is the world I happening, only once had mother taken the time to set my hair in the curling rods and that was when my father was receiving an award from the town elders for something or other, I was 6 years old and felt like a queen but never since had mother ever felt an occasion was important enough.
Laying down in the bath I let the thoughts of the capital visitor float away, I closed my eyes and let my mind drift back to my dreams of the black wolf, his presence was comforting, his piercing blue eyes looking straight at me, when the dream first started a few weeks ago It scared me but as time goes on I look forward to the dream of him, watching over me, I just wish I knew what it meant and why I can't reach him, I know he's waiting for me but I can't get to him every night it seems like I get closer but then he disappears.
I get out of the bath and mother is waiting at the dressing table in my bedroom, the curlers set down on the white marble table and I sit on the chair and look at myself through the mirror my long white blonde hair now down to my waist, my blue eyes all of it inherited from my mother although she has had shoulder length hair for many years now, the older I get the more prominent her features become on my face.
It takes mother nearly 45 minutes to set all my hair into the curlers, I realise now why she doesn't like to do it by the time she is finished I can feel my eyes becoming more and more heavy, she leaves the room and comes back with a large box, I know what's inside before she even opens it, this box I have opened secretly many times while mother and father have been out of the house, it's filled with creams, lotions and perfumes that mother has collected over the years although I would never dare try any of them for fear she would smell it on me, "something for everything" she says putting the box down on the now empty dressing table, she opens the box and selects two creams one for my face and one for my body "once you are married darling, I will pass on all these things to you, I will have little to no use for it then" she seems sad as she says this to me, as if she doesn't really want me to go, although I know father has been waiting for her to agree to find me a suitable match, i think if it wasn't for mother I would have been married off when I turned 18.
She finishes spreading the creams on my arms and tucks me up in bed "come on now darling, get some sleep, we have a big day tomorrow, goodnight" she kisses me on my forehead and leaves the room, it doesn't take long before I feel myself drifting off to sleep.