Chapter 1: The Crescent Star

I hear the familiar sound of the rock against the window, 21st of the month, 9pm, like clockwork every month savannah would come, I would sneak out of the window climb along the huge branches of the old oak tree that was just outside and shimmy my way down the trunk, 1 hour that's all we would have before the elders finished their monthly meeting at the town hall.
"I got it!" Savannah squeals although only a whisper we wouldn't dare be caught out of the house at this hour even knowing all the elders were at least half a mile away we wouldn't take the risk of someone hearing us.
"Did you take a look? Please tell me you waited for me this time savannah" I gave her a pleading look we both knew that savannah had zero willpower when it came to checking over the magazine that we waited so patiently for every month, things like tv, magazines and all outside materials were strictly forbidden in our community but lucky for us savannahs father owned our towns supermarket, the dry goods delivery came once a month and the drivers son had a huge crush on savannah so he manages to sneak a few things across to her but the thing we wait for most is the 'Crescent star' it was filled with all the scandal and juicy gossip from the capital city.
"I swear I just skimmed a few of the pictures, you know I have to see his face and omg you will not be disappointed" I rolled my eyes at her too excited to be mad, we made our way to the small clearing at the back of the garden, this was the perfect place to still have the light from the garden but hidden enough so we wouldn't be caught, crouched down savannah starts flicking through the pages and I already knew who she was looking for 'Beta Kieron' he was beta to the alpha king and a regular in the Crescent Star Hot Topic section.
"Look Elizabeth, he's perfect!"
"I swear your obsession with the kings beta is unhealthy savannah, when you find your mate I hope for his sake he looks just like beta Kieron" giving her a knowing look, in The moons children community it was very rare to find your actual fated mate, usually the town elders would get together and decide who would be married based on their status or their bank balance and even the lucky few who managed to find theirs if the town elders did not see it to be a 'suitable match' they would hold a rejection ceremony and everyone in the town would gather together and watch as they suffered in pain rejecting each other but savannah and I always dreamed of finding our fated mates and running off together away from this town and seeing the world and all the things we had missed out on but mostly we were desperate to see the capital! But for now the closest we will get is our monthly fix of the Crescent Star.