so long, new jersey

"oh, a simple complication, miscommunications lead to fall out"

(FOR THE SAKE OF THE STORY, JUST ASSUME THAT THE NEW JERSEY AIRPORT IS NEAR BRADY'S HOUSE  (LIKE 20 MINUTES BY WALKING))

BRADY'S POV:

It had been a little over two weeks since I last saw Brady at the cafe. Honestly, I was relieved we hadn't crossed paths again. Seeing him would only reopen wounds I was trying to heal. He hadn't come to visit either, I just assumed that Lily scared him away the first time.

In the meantime, I did audition for a couple of movies. Although Brady didn't feel the same about me, it felt like a BIG burden had been lifted off of my back ever since I told him how I felt. The media had also settled down a little bit. I figured it was about time I went back out there. I had healed and I was better than ever.

"Honey, come downstairs quick!" my mom called out.

"I'm busy, mom, I'll be down in 5," I replied, trying to finish my algebra problem.

"AMY, GET DOWN FAST! SOMETHING'S WRONG WITH DAD!" Ryan's voice echoed from downstairs.

I bolted down the stairs, heart racing with worry.

"What happened? What's wrong with Dad?" I asked, my eyes wide with concern.

My parents stood in the living room, holding up a colorful banner that read "CONGRATULATIONS" in bold letters, their faces beaming with excitement.

"What's going on?" I asked, confused.

"YOU GOT SELECTED FOR ZOMBIES 4!" Ryan yelled, barely containing his excitement.

The words sank in slowly. I had auditioned for Zombies 4 just a week ago, and honestly, it was the last movie I expected to get selected for. The rest of the cast were all experienced and successful actors my age. It was pretty much a big deal.

"No fucking way!" I exclaimed, still processing the news.

"Hey, hey, hey, language," Mom reminded me with a smile.

"They're filming in New Zealand. You leave day after tomorrow," Dad explained, looking proud.

"OMG, that's—wait, day after tomorrow?" I stammered.

"Yeah," Dad confirmed.

"Isn't that too soon? I have school, I gotta tell Lily, and I need to pack," I said, feeling overwhelmed.

"It'll be fine, honey. Don't stress. We're all here for you. We'll help," Mom reassured, squeezing my shoulder.

The door suddenly knocked, and when I opened it, there was Lily, all excited.

"Did you—" Lily started.

"I DID!" I burst out, barely containing my excitement.

"OMG, I'm so, so proud of you, bestie!" Lily exclaimed, giving me a big hug.

"Aww, I couldn't have done it without you, Lily," I replied, feeling grateful for her support.

The next day was super stressful. My family, including Lily, helped me pack and get ready for the trip, but New Zealand felt so far away. I knew I'd be spending a lot of time there without my parents, Ryan, or Lily. It was going to be the longest time I'd ever been away from my family. I could visit them at the end of every month, but it just wouldn't be the same.

I spent the last couple of days hoping Brady would call or text me, maybe asking me to stay or just saying he missed me. But there was nothing from him. I fought away all the negative thoughts that came my way as we pulled into the airport.