Café Interlude

Victor stepped away from the crime scene of Raven's 99th victim, his search for clues frustratingly fruitless. The absence of evidence weighed heavily on him as he trudged out, shoulders slumped with the burden of unresolved justice. His day at the office dragged on in a similar vein—tedious and unyielding.

Later, seeking solace at his usual cafe, Victor's spirits lifted slightly when he caught sight of Angela, his favorite face in the crowd. Her smile was a beacon as she waved him over.

"Hey, how was your day? You okay? You look a bit off. Skipping meals again, Vic?" she teased, concern lining her features.

Victor chuckled, shaking his head. "Bombarding me with questions, Angel? I'm fine, really. Eating healthy too," he reassured her, using the affectionate nickname he'd coined for her.

From a nearby table, Han nudged Alex and Tom, who were poorly hiding their excitement for their friend's budding relationship. "Yah, tone it down, or he'll catch on," Han whispered, amusement twinkling in his eyes.

Turning back to Angela, Victor's expression softened. "So, how's the cafe life? Boss still driving you nuts?" he inquired, eager to keep their light, easy chatter going.

Angela sighed, rolling her eyes playfully. "Sometimes, my manager is just... a pain in the ass, you know? But let's not talk about work. Tell me about your day—though you look like you could use a break from that topic too."

Their laughter mingled, filling the space between them with the comfort of shared understanding, a momentary escape from their demanding worlds.

Suddenly, the sharp crack of breaking glass sliced through their laughter. Victor and Angela turned their heads toward the noise, only to see Alex, Han, and Tom nervously smiling at them. Alex walked over; hands raised in mock surrender.

"Look, we just came here for a drink, okay? We weren't eavesdropping or... stalking you guys," he explained, trying to sound casual but his grin betraying his amusement.

Victor raised an eyebrow, a smile tugging at his lips despite his effort to appear stern. "Really? Just a casual drink right next to us?" he teased, knowing well the playful nature of his friends.

Angela chuckled, waving off the awkwardness. "Well, the more the merrier, right? Why don't you guys join us? Just try to keep the spying to a minimum," she joked, her warm tone inviting their friends to relax.

As they all gathered around, the tension dissolved into shared chuckles and light banter, the evening slowly morphing into an unexpected group hangout. The night unfolded with stories and laughter, creating a moment of respite for Victor from the burdens of his work.

As the evening wound down, Victor felt a profound gratitude for the unexpected joys that the day had brought. Angela's light-hearted spirit, combined with the antics of his friends, had lifted the weight from his shoulders, if only for a few hours. Walking home under the starlit sky, Victor realized that life, despite its shadows, was also filled with moments of light.