Ahin's rose of affection

Start from the beginning

"Thank you," I replied and we both looked away

"And now, making their grand entrance onto the field," I looked in front. I didn't want to talk to anyone here, so I chose to pay attention to the game but that didn't turn out well either, "I present to you Prince Lyal, "

My heart skipped a beat as I heard the announcer's voice booming across the arena, "And on the other side, we have Prince Roran, ambassador from Rowana!"

A sinking feeling settled in the pit of my stomach at the mention of Prince Lyal's name. Memories of our past encounters flooded my mind, filling me with a sense of unease. Despite the grandeur of his title.

So, he's participating too...

I felt my stomach churn. Maybe I should leave. I glanced at the Princess. She wasn't paying me any attention. I don't think I have to tell her, she's not interested in me to begin with.

I got up and was about to turn to leave when Illaris grabbed my dress, making me look back at her.

"Please," She passed me a smile, "Sit, I want to talk to you," Her action caught the attention of many people. Of course, she was the saint. A small action from her would make people curious.

Especially when the person she caught looked exactly like someone they know from the past. I didn't dare look around at the other benches. So I had no idea how many people would recognize me but the anxiety in my heart began to stir.

"I have somewhere to be," I replied. I didn't want to be here. Where's Hael? Isn't he done yet?

"Just this match," She pulled my dress down, making me sit, "You can leave after that."

Didn't she say she wanted to talk? What is she up to? As soon as I sat down, she looked away. I pursed my lips and looked at the players.

As the two princes took their places on opposite ends of the arena, the tension in the air became palpable. The crowd held its breath, eagerly awaiting the clash of titans that was about to unfold before them.

But amidst the anticipation, I couldn't shake the feeling of apprehension that gripped me at the sight of Prince Lyal. His presence seemed to cast a shadow over the entire arena, his gaze piercing and intense as it swept over the crowd.

I couldn't really focus on the match. I was fretting over how to leave, but it felt like Illaris constantly had her eyes on me.

As the match reached its climax, the crowd held its breath, their eyes glued to the unfolding spectacle before them. And then, in a skillful display of agility, Prince Lyal delivered the final blow, his lance striking true and sending Prince Roran tumbling from his horse with a resounding crash.

The crowd erupted into cheers and applause as Lyal emerged victorious,

"Prince Lyal" The crowd chanted his name as he pranced around on his horse.

Hmm

It seems in the recent years he has risen to fame. Otherwise, there was no one who would support him like this. I glanced at Illaris. It might be because he and the saint went on expeditions together and they managed to clean up a lot of miasma.

In turn, the people started giving their support to him. I looked down at my foot, then balled my fists and bit my lower lips.

He's enjoying his life, while I can't walk straight because of what he did.

Lyal received his red rose and I knew it was time to leave.

"Well then," I stood up, "I'll be leaving then."

Lyal grabbed his rose and turned to look at my bench. I froze and so did he.

Our eyes met and my heart fell to the pit of my stomach. I felt nauseous.

Oh shit,

I could see the bewilderment flickering in his eyes, a furrow forming on his brow as he struggled to comprehend my presence in the crowd. His gaze remained fixed on me, a myriad of emotions swirling beneath the surface—surprise, curiosity, and perhaps even a hint of disbelief.

Despite his obvious confusion, Prince Lyal maintained his composure, his regal demeanor unwavering as he made his way towards me.

OH! No, no, no, no.

The crowd murmured with curiosity, their whispers blending into a soft hum of anticipation as they watched the unfolding exchange.

Shit! What do I do now!? He's not coming towards me right? I glanced at Illaris. They're a rumored thing! He must be coming to give her the rose!

Prince Lyal approached, the rose held out before him. His confusion was palpable, yet there was a determination in his gaze that belied his uncertainty.

For a moment, we stood there in silence, the weight of his gaze heavy upon me as I met his eyes with a mixture of apprehension

Oh no, this can't be happening! Illaris was right next to me. Give the rose to her, please!!!

The crowd grew quiet like never before, "You're Corvina, right?" He asked and I chose to play dumb.

"Yes?" I acted confused, "I'm sorry? Who?" I pointed at myself, looking utterly lost, "Me?"

My words flustered him, "Ah, right, you can't be her." He looked distraught. I noticed Illaris looking at him, there was a look of anger in her eyes.

"Then, I'll be leaving." I hurried up. I just wanted to get out of here, but like before, the moment I turned I was stopped.

"Wait," Lyal said and I froze.

God! What am I? A dog? Someone gives me a command and I stop?

"Yes?" I awkwardly looked back at him.

"Here," He presented his rose to me and the look in Illaris eyes turned dark, it was as if she would kill me right there, "I present my victory to you."

My chest tightened and I felt bad. I did not want to take his rose. I felt sick all of the sudden.

God! Please, show me some miracle! I stared at the rose he held in his hand while I clutched the rose in mine tightly. Please, I don't know why he's doing this but I don't want his rose!

I looked at him, I want him to go away! I hate the sight of him!

And as if my prayer had been heard. The rose in Lyal's hand burst up in flames, startling everyone in the place.