50: Lukas

June, 2019

"You're really that happy?" I asked her as she buried herself into my neck.

"Did you listen to me last night? Or was there no blood left in your head to retain memories of our exchanges after we had sex?" She glanced up at me.

"I thought you were just saying all that... like whispering sweet nothings."

Her grin that was on her face was starting to falter. Though she shook her head, keeping the smile going as said, "I meant it. And our bond just coming back like this as if it were fate for us to be together makes me even happier." But as her gaze searched my face, eventually the doubt started to creep into the cracks. "Though you don't seem to be happy about this?"

The truth was, I wasn't sure how I felt about our bond invitation returning. All I could feel was confused. Confused that we were in this predicament and confused that she seemed so genuinely enraptured. It was like whiplash from the last time. So I said all that came to mind in that moment in the wake of her spiel. "It's not a bond yet. Just an invitation."

The final optimism depleted from her expression, and she turned away in the hopes to hide it. But of course, I caught it. "Yes it is. Well, I'm going to go for a shower."

And with that, she bounded out of the bed and to the bathroom, not even looking back at me as she closed the door between us. Though despite the wall separating us, I could still hear the shaky sigh leave her before she turned on the water.

While I wasn't so sure what had me on edge, I didn't let myself ruminate on it long. Because the longer I left this, the more I knew she'd work herself into some blame scheme.

Not even putting clothes on, I ambled over to the bathroom door before knocking.

"I'll be out soon," she called back; there was no missing the cracking of her voice.

"I'm coming in," I replied.

As I creaked open the door, she pivoted towards the wall.

I didn't understand why she was so desperate to hide her disappointment when she knew I'd seen and heard her despair, nonetheless I played along. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing," she muttered back.

I climbed into the shower with her, snaking my arms around her waist. "I thought you wanted me to know all your feelings, yet here you are hiding them from me."

"You don't want to hear it."

"Would I ask if I didn't?"

"Okay," she spun around, emerald brimming with red. "It upsets me that you know I'm excited about our bond return, but you're either indifferent or mad that it's back."

"I'm not mad."

"Uh-huh."

"Or indifferent."

"Right."

"I'm scared," I then mumbled ever so quietly, unable to meet her gaze anymore.

She was quiet for a moment until her arms wrapped around me and her breasts pressed against my chest, her proximity demanding me to look at her.

"One day you will believe me when I say I'm not going anywhere this time. And I know I may have promised that to you before and let you down, but things are so different now, Lukas. I'm not going through that pain again of losing you... unless you tell me you don't want me."

While she meant it in an earnest way, I shifted the mood in the room as I hoisted her up against the wall, breathing into her neck, "How could I not want you?" I started to trail open-mouthed kisses down her neck.