39: Lukas

June, 2019

I was barely aware of my surroundings when I opened the door to the sitting room; my thoughts still caught up on what I just read. Was the study really still ongoing or was it simply yet to be updated? I knew my parents weren't great people, but surely they wouldn't still be pushing Rüdiger's agenda? Surely they too didn't want to get rid of humans... I thought they were merely going along with it before to appease him and save themselves.

But if so... why was there a project dated after his death? Why hadn't it been cancelled along with everything else?

The only thing that really brought me back to the present as I took my seat back beside Olivia was my mum saying, "I get that you're upset, Olivia. I know that forcing you to forget your feelings for Lukas had consequences. But I only wanted you to leave Lukas alone so that he wouldn't be swayed by you anymore and wouldn't continue to chase after a girl who couldn't be his. Your bond was almost over. I just needed him to find that final confidence to sever it, and he would never do it if your feelings were still there. I never intended for what I did to hurt Ben."

"Hurt? He died because of—"

"I know. You've told me multiple times, and Lukas has also scolded me enough for the spell."

"You knew what she did to me?" Olivia then threw at me, before shifting away on the seat.

"I..." I mumbled, still not quite present as I tried to catch up with their conversation.

"He found out about the anti-love spell after you left," my mum came to my defence, which had the fairy's venomous eyes turning back on her. "Look... if you're really that upset about Ben being gone, then all you have to do is bring him back."

"Like it's that simple," Olivia muttered.

All the while, my mind completely forgot the records room as my back straightened and eyes widened.

Glancing my way, my mother cocked a curious brow as she took in my shock.

I shook my head at her, warning her to not go there.

Though Olivia didn't miss the exchange. "Wait, you're serious?" she asked, looking at me for confirmation. But when I refused to meet her gaze, she turned back to my mother.

"Of course," mum said. "There's always a spell for everything in our world, Olivia. If you're willing to pay the cost."

"What's the cost?" Olivia demanded, a little too eagerly.

My mum sighed. "I'm afraid I don't know."

"If you don't know, then how do you know that such a spell even exists?"

"Because Lukas went searching for it once."

Once again, Olivia turned to face me. "You did?"

· · ───── ∘☽༓☾∘ ───── · ·

October, 1982

My eyes felt heavy as I stared at the ceiling, refusing to close them in case the visions returned. But no matter how much I fought it, eventually I'd drift. And eventually I'd relive her murder again, and again, and again.

Her funeral was a week ago. My uncle fashioned some lie to tell her parents about the reasons behind her death and beheaded state, whereby humans conducted a witch hunt on her. They easily bought it. Who'd dare question Rüdiger?

Though I was too afraid to go. I didn't know what I'd do if I saw her parents' faces. Moreover, going meant facing my uncle, and I didn't trust myself to not try to get revenge if I saw his face again. But most importantly, I couldn't stand the thought of watching her body being lowered into the ground. Because if I kept denying she was really gone, maybe it wouldn't be real.