👑 The Beautiful Tyrant: Chapter 38 👑

Outside the dorm, Deuce was sitting on a bench, head in his hands at the events that unfolded. He released a sigh as he leans back, looking at the sky. "I blew it big time," he quietly says. "I had no business lashing out the way I did. That's not what an honor student does. Someone gives me justified criticism, and I go off on them. Man, I'm lame..." he groans.

"There you are," a voice is heard as he hears footsteps approaching him, seeing that Angel was giving him a slight smile. "No need for the long face," she awkwardly says, trying to at least making him feel a bit better, only for him to sigh as she stands in front of him, embarrassed at her attempt.

"Hey, our kindly manager's brought you a bottle of water," Grim states to him as she holds up a bottle of water, proving his point.

"Angel. Grim," Deuce says as she hands the him the bottle. "Sorry about running off like that."

"You should be!" Grim exclaims as Angel sits down next to him. "If you guys don't win first place, my tuna bonanza goes up in smoke. You and Epel both better buck up and get back to practice."

"Grim, it's not the time to say that after everything that happened," she scolds him, making him cross his paws and huff.

"Ha ha," Deuce chuckles, making her confused. "It's okay, Angel." He looks to Grim. "You and your one-track mind. It makes me kind of jealous."

"Y'know, Deuce, I've been wondering," Grim starts. "Why did you stick your nose in Vil and Epel's argument? Even I know that's just askin' for trouble."

"Even I couldn't stand up against Vil. And I even stood up against Leona of all people," Angel shudders.

Deuce chuckles at the two. "It is, huh?" He looks at the two. "I agree. It was dumb of me. But I've seen something in Epel ever since we ran into him by the courtyard well." He looks down at the ground. "I think...he and I are a lot alike."

"Seriously?" Grim asks in disbelief. "You and Epel? You guys don't look or act anything alike."

"It's hard to put it into words," Deuce says in thought. "It's about wanting to change, but not being able to...Not knowing HOW to change yourself, and just kind of floundering. Ugh."

"Like, you don't know who you should really be?" Angel asks, making him surprised. "You want to change who you are, but it's hard to do that when you're lost on how to even change yourself."

"Right. That's exactly it," he says as he agrees with her. "Ace was right," he sighs. "I'm hopeless with this stuff. I'm bad at getting a point across. It's just so...frustrating."

"Such frustrations are the bittersweet pain of youth, Monsieur Spade!" Rook exclaims.

"C'mon, what's the matter? Cheer up!" Kalim happily says.

The two's appearance shocked the trio. "WHOA!" They jump in shock as they turn around, seeing that the upperclassmen were looking at them with a smile.

"Rook? Kalim?" Deuce asks as the shock wore off. "You scared me! What are you doing here?"

"It's about time to get back to dance rehearsal, so we came to check up on you," Kalim explains.

"Are you feeling ready to return to the ballroom?" Rook asks.

Deuce look at the two, then sadly look down. "C-can I...really go back?" He hesitates.

"Huh?" Kalim asks in confusion. "Of course you can," he smiles.

"Vil was right when he said I'm dead weight. I know that," Deuce admits. "I was chosen for the ensemble, and I'm trying my best. But I'm afraid it might not be enough..."