👑 The Beautiful Tyrant: Chapter 34 👑

The next morning, Angel woke up naturally, surprised at the amount of sleep she got after the events of last night. She hated to admit it, but who knew having Grim on "punishment" would help her sleep better, at least, not being conscious enough to hear his snoring in the middle of the night. Maybe Grim should sleep in another room now and then. She got up and stretched, ready to start her morning routine only to hear knocking on the door. She invited the person to come in and the door opened, showing Rook smiling at her.

"Bonjour, Angel!" Rook happily greets as she starts to untie her hair. "Today is off to a most magnificent start, wouldn't you say?" Without Grim here, pretty much, the thought crosses her mind. "We'll be doing morning practice sessions starting, well...this morning!" He announces. "Come to Pomefiore ballroom." He leaves, leaving her to finish everything else.

In the ballroom, Angel instantly remembered something she forgot last night, seeing how disheveled Ace, Deuce, and Grim looked, groaning while trying to knock the kinks out of their body from sleeping on the floor. "Last night was awful..." Deuce says with a sigh as he wince to stretch his arm.

"I'm arching all over after having to sleep on the hard floor," Ace groans.

"I ain't even in the ensemble," Grim whines. "It ain't fair, I tell ya..."

"Ah right..." Angel says as she listened to the complaints, remembering that she was supposed to give blankets and pillows to the three; however, with Mickey's appearance, she must have forgotten.

"Guys? Are you okay?" Epel asks them with concern.

"Ah, everyone's here," Kalim happily says as he and Jamil walk into the ballroom. "Good morning."

"I heard a bunch of noise last night and leapt out of bed," Jamil states. "I thought someone was attacking," he looks to the three. "But no...When I went to see what was going on, I found you guys sprawled out on the ground."

"It wasn't by choice, okay?!" Ace retorts. "Vil used his signature spell on us."

"Did he really?" Jamil asks with slight interest.

"Yeah," Grim answers. "He cursed the grub in the fridge. Is that scary or what?!" He angrily says.

"He put a curse on food?!" Kalim asks in shock.

"Now I'm gonna be wonderin' if everything I eat between now and the SDC is cursed," Grim shivers. "It's got me all paranoid."

"I'm pretty careful about poisons, but I'll have to be extra careful if there are curses involved," Kalim sighs.

"Anything using magic will leave at least some trace behind, but...Hm," Jamil thinks.

"Maybe I could identify it if I brush up on my sensory abilities?"

"You're not exactly sensitive to start with, you know," Jamil states. "Mastering that seems a bit out of your reach."

"Hey, don't say that. You never know until you try!" Kalim happily says.

The freshmen, aside from Angel and Grim, looked at the duo in confusion. "Uh, are we not gonna address the part where Kalim said something about poison?"

"Hm?" Kalim hums, hearing the question. "Oh, it's just that I've had my food poisoned before," he states.

"WHAT?!" They exclaim.

"Yeah, that's why I got bought on as his poison tester during the holidays," Grim mumbles as he remembers the "tasting".

"I've had some awful experiences with it. Before long, I started being suspicious of pretty much everything I was about to eat. But it's exhausting weighing whether or not you can trust whoever cooks your food, let alone whoever sits at your table. It really got in the way of enjoying a nice meal, you know?" He says with a smile.