🐍 Schemer of the Scalding Sands: Chapter 16 🐍

Later that day, around curfew, two Scarabia students stand outside the door to the duo's room, one of them locking the door and inspecting the door, testing the knob to see that that the door is truly locked. "All right, the Ramshackle visitors are secure in their room," the student says to the other, knowing for a fact that the two were inside before locking the room.

"Let's check in on the other rooms then," the other student says as the two start to prepare, starting their patrol.

The student sighs. "I swear there's been another escape every day. Housewarden Kalim's been very cross about it. It's gotten so bad, he's not even listening to counsel from Vice Housewarden Jamil anymore."

"How long will we have to live like this?" The other student says, tiredness in his voice. "I just wanna go home," he whines.

"Oh, quit bellyaching," the other student says, trying not to let the feeling get to him as well. "You think I didn't want to spend the holidays with my family, too?" The two students walk away, starting their patrol for the night.

In the room, Angel and Grim watched the door, listening to their conversation until it became silent, with Angel looking at the shadows under the door, seeing that they disappeared. "Are they gone?" Grim asks, and the two stayed silent for a while, waiting for anything that might bring the students back, only to hear nothing. The two sigh in relief, happy at the fact that the students were truly gone and that the training for the day was over. "That afternoon training was so brutal, my meal was ready to come up the same way it went down," Grim whines as he sits on the bed, crossing his paws in thought. "We already know the headmage ain't gonna be any help here," he states. "Which means it's up to us to get ourselves outta this mess." He smirks. "Luckily, you've got my towering intellect over here. I've got a perfect prison break plan ready to go."

Angel looks at him in confusion, doubt starting to cloud her mind as she thinks about what he said. I mean...it doesn't hurt to hear it since we don't have many options... "Okay then. Let's hear what you got."

"Heh heh heh," Grim says as he digs into his fur. "I swiped our escape tool this morning." He smiles, grabbing the item from his fur. "Behold: our ticket to freedom!" He announces as he holds the item out, proving to be a spoon. "We'll use this bad boy to dig out way through the floor, one spoonful at a time!"

Angel sweat dropped at the spoon and plan. "That's going to take WAY too much time and energy, and we're already exhausted from the training today."

"They used to call me Grim the Digger back home," Grim says, making Angel doubts more prominent. "Leave this to me while you stand lookout!" He says as he heads to a corner in the wall, starting to chip away with the spoon. Angel watches him chip into the wall, not really making an effect but proceeded to sit at the door, keeping lookout for any shadows and sounds of students wandering the hall. It is the best plan we got so far... She thinks as she watches Grim. Maybe it's as they say. "The most basic plan is the right plan."

After a few minutes, there is a noticeable difference in the wall, looking a little concave, but not too concave where it's suspicious enough. "Wow, this is goin' smoother than I thought," Grim says as he starts to dig faster. "I think I'm actually onto something here."

After about half an hour, Grim sighs, seeing that he was progressing well, but the exhaustion was starting to take a toll on him. "Okay, I'm getting' bored of diggin' into the same spot over and over again..." He mumbles. "Angel, let's switch places," he tells her, waking her up from her lookout position. "I'll keep an eye out," he says as she slowly stands up, trying not to let exhaustion get to her, but woke enough to dig into the wall. Grim hands her the spoon and the two switch places, with Grim laying on the floor and Angel starting to dig.