Chapter One

"I can see them coming!"

Melori's urgent voice pierced through the air from the room adjacent to mine.

With a sigh, I set my half-read novel down on the nightstand and pushed myself up from the comfort of my bed.

"K'lani, get your ass in here!"

I grumbled in response to her impatience before storming out of my room.

Upon entering Melori's room, I found my best friend leaning precariously out of the window, her short raven hair tied back in a messy ponytail.

As I approached her side, peering out into the distance alongside her, all I saw was an empty landscape.

"Maybe it's time for an eye check-up, Mel. I don't see anything," I remarked skeptically.

In a swift motion, she turned to me with a fierce glare, smacking my arm in frustration.

"So funny," she retorted sarcastically. "They vanished behind that hill over there."

Pointing towards one of the larger hills in the distance, she insisted on what she had witnessed.

"Or perhaps it was just a flock of birds flying low," I suggested with a hint of doubt in my voice.

"I know what I saw!" Melori's chestnut eyes blazed with determination as she defended her sighting.

"You're just envious that I spotted them first."

Rolling my dark green eyes and crossing my arms, I stood unconvinced by her claims. If indeed they were approaching as she believed, it meant both of us would soon be presented to one of them upon their arrival — a prospect that filled me with dread.

"There's no reason for me to be jealous—"

Before I could finish my sentence, Melori interrupted triumphantly as she pointed outside where several figures were now visible marching towards our village.

"See! Look! I told you so!"

My heart sank at the sight before us; there was no denying their approach now.

"They look almost ethereal," Melori exclaimed with excitement evident in her wide smile as she leaned on her palm by the window sill.

"You can barely make out their features from here," I remarked skeptically, taking a step back to sit on her bed. Fiddling nervously with strands of my light brown curls, anxiety pulsed through me.

"So what? Imagination is key," Melori quipped confidently. "I'm determined to have a handsome one this time. A hunk. Give me brawny arms, chiseled features, and an impressive. . ." Her words trailed off into risqué territory.

"You're destined for the fiery depths," I interjected firmly.

"Already booked my spot there, might as well embrace it and add to my questionable legacy," she replied with a smirk.