Chappy 3: 'Grumpy pirate in a frumpy bed

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I could hear me hearties having the time of their godam lives outside, yet I couldn't bring myself to join them.

Quite sure they were used to it at this point, I hadn't been much fun for the past few months. Not until a certain someone left me in the lurch and sailed away with my heart.

I caught a glimpse of my reflection in the mirror. The bandages, wrapped securely around my waist made me look like a demented mummy. But...they helped.

Not like my injuries were fatal or anything, the cuts were actually quite shallow, they were just showing off by bleeding so much.

I feel like I should thank my wounds at this rate. No matter the pain, they somehow managed to get one of the most feared pirate queen's to tend to them. Now that's some serious skill.

I heard a knock at the door as I lay in bed. I glanced at the clock, it was almost dawn, who could be awake at this moment?

Nothing could've prepared me for this visitor.

Annabeth stood at the door. To my satisfaction, it seemed like she would rather be anywhere else in the world.Her hair flew in the wind as she turned away from me.

"Captain Chase," I greeted, trying not to smile at her little pout

"Jackson," she mumbled, seemingly quite interested in her feet.

I could feel my lips curve upwards. There's the woman I know, so stubborn for absolutely no reason.

"What are ya doing here? At this hour?" I asked, "if you wanted me alone, you should've just asked, Chase. No need to show up to my bedroom in the middle of the night," I teased.

She finally met my eyes, frowning. I was taken aback by the sight.

As much as I dreamed about those eyes, I'd almost forgotten what a vivid gray they were. As if storms and clouds danced among them.

"Ay shut up," she rolled her eyes, but I could definitely see a slight speck of colour in her face that wasn't there before.

"So watcha here for, lassie?" I prodded, smirking. So I could still get under her skin eh?

"Ay..I...I went to our old room. My stuff is still there, but there's no bed. The crews loaded to the gunwales, sleeping about in their bunkers. But..." she hesitated, "There's no where for me to stay...where'd our bed run off to?"

I blinked.

After our unexpected separation, sleeping in our mutual bedroom was torture. And one day, after I moved into another chamber...I'd thrown the bed overboard in a random moment of frustration.

"The bed's being used by Mr and Mrs fishy wishy," I explained, realising it was my turn to look embarrassed.

Ever since we set sail years ago, Annabeth and I had always shared a room. So no wonder there was no spare place for her the rest her pretty head.

"Aye," Annabeth muttered under her breath.
She looked around, as if she was unsure of herself. That was odd.

"I'll...pass me a blanket will ya? I'll sleep out on the deck," she shrugged.

"No," I huffed, "Don't be daft."

The irritation was evident in her eyes, and that again, was quite entertaining for me. There was never anything more fun that pushing her buttons.

"Do ya suggest I sleep in the crows nest?" she snapped, "Just toss me a blanket, and I'll leave ya alone."

I rolled my eyes.

"Just...just come in," I stepped aside, ushering her into my room. She didn't want to enter, but after I tugged her by the wrist, she had no choice but to follow.

"I'm not sleeping here," she huffed, shaking her head.

"You are, lass. Don't argue," I replied, fixing up the cushions on my bed, "I ain't gonna do anything to ya. I'm an injured man, and more so with honour."

Annabeth blinked, looking stunned, "Don't..say that about yerself. I obviously trust ya."

And now I was confused again. Why was she defending me? I thought she'd take the bait and insult me a bit more...

She was a complicated lass. But as long as she didn't kill in my sleep, Im fine with that.

"Just..come to bed," I whispered, settling down on the mattress. It was straining my wound to stay standing for so long.

"We've always shared a room...it's how it should...how it's always been," I sighed, turning away from her as I lay down.

The nights I'd spent without her yielded nothing but disturbed sleep and spooky dreams. It was the first time in years I'd slept by myself, and I hated it.

I closed my eyes, though I could feel her staring at me. As much as I wanted to stay up and argue, I didn't have a lot of energy. The tonic Will gave me to drink made me drowsy, and the gentle sway of the ship and Annabeth's presence were enough to lull me to sleep.

I don't know how long Annabeth stood by the bed, contemplating her life choices.

But the last thing I remember was feeling a dip in the mattress beside me, as the familiar scent of lemons invaded my senses.

That night...I'd had the best sleep I've had in a good, long while.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ahoy! Sending another chapter out to sea! Deal with it it, sailors!

Question of the day- What's your favorite colour?

Any suggestions for the story? Anything you wanna see?

(Posted 8/4/24- 1:58am)

Stay tuned!!!
—S